• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Needed Repair SC-545

Hale

We had a bad thunderstorm go through NW Arkansas about 20 days ago. We were shutting down and unplugging equipment, not fast enought I guess. Two heads, Magenta and Cyan (group A) quit. I finally determined with some help from Signs 101 that fuse F4 on the head board was blown. A Roland authorized service tech was in the area. He soldered in a new fuse in, but it blew again. Verified that heads would print by using anohter ribbon cable to fire them. He left to come back with another head board, print carriage board & ribbon cables. I later soldered in another fuse, even with ribbon cables to head board disconnected, it blew fuse when power was turned on. Tech was here today and switched out the two boards and ribbon cables going to heads. Heads were all firing, then while he was running his tests, blew F4 fuse again. We soldered another fuse onto the new header board, left if for five minutes without the ribbon cables for A Group hooked up, blew it again. He has been talking to Roland. They say maybe a power supply board, maybe main board, maybe replace four boards, maybe the insurance company will total the printer. Any body have any ideas? Insurance company involved. I have bills for repairs and jobs backed up. I don't yet see an end in sight and not getting a postive feeling that they can fix this thing.

Any help appreciated.!!!:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

mark in tx

Is the machine insured for full replacement cost?

Meaning, if they total it, you get 30k to buy another?

You can keep throwing parts at it, and hope something does the trick, or find another Technician.

If a different technician is unable to resolve the problem, then you might want to pursue the insurance settlement.

Have him check the power board, it may be sending the wrong voltage to the mainboard, if it's good then (sorry) you will need a new mainboard. We had one printer take a large power surge and ended up replacing everything! It cost over $8,000...yes, really.

Hale

How do you check the power board? We discussed this breifly, I don't think he knew how to check that? Is there someplace on the board to take a reading with a meter?