• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Pricing -Removing Reflective vinyl

Spencer McMurtry

Hello,
I have never took off reflective decals before and i have a client who is wanting me to take off all the graphics on a ambulance vehicle and i have no idea how long it is going to take to take off the old graphics. everything in these pictures is reflective and it all is to be removed. any ideas or pointers on what to charge / take it off?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1232-th.jpg
    DSCF1232-th.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCF1233-th.jpg
    DSCF1233-th.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF1234-th.jpg
    DSCF1234-th.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 145

CL Graphics

depends on how long it has been on and what brand it is. Some comes right off, others we pressure was off. Charge time and materials. Bidding removals is a big mistake. Been there, done that.

drive

We use this formula:
(Shop hourly rate) x (hours it takes)
We always charge peeling by the hour. Especially removing reflective! You just never know have long it will take and how delicate the operation will end up being.

Spencer McMurtry

the client is wanting a estimate on what is going cost before giving me the job, i was thinking 7 -10 hours at my shop rate $75/hr. at that price i wouldn't be surprised if they say no

trik

Tough to bid! I had a similar job for 8 vehicles. I told him I thought it would be a nightmare to remove, so I made him a deal, I would bill him for 3 hours on the first vehicle, if I was close to done we would have an idea, if not he would be better off taking it to a body shop to have them sand off the decals, they had been on the truck for years and years...lol About an hour into it I realized there was no way this was happening, and he paid $150 for my time and advice. Plus I got to do all their trucks once he had them repainted, he got a great deal from the body shop for 8 vehicles, worked out great for all. Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If all three lines are reflective count on about 5 to 6 hours if you use a vinyl zapper.

Quote them $500 to $600 dollars and guarantee it won't go over the 6. Buy yourself a zapper for about $400 and you'll make a little money for your time, but you'll have a tool now that will do wonders for you for the future.

MikePro

everyone complains so much about removing reflective...
heat and patience is all you need.
i'd do it in 5hrs, but still charge $600.

...$450 if he pays cash, and gives you a week to work on it and prioritize other projects before it. Although you could always offer to have it ready for him, tomorrow, for $800.

Dave Drane

Everyone forgets that it is easier to apply rather than remove any films. I don't know how many times I have stated here that there is only one way. MBX VINYL ZAPPER. It will pay for itself in ONE job.
As Gino says allow at least 5 - 6 hours + $25 for extra wheel. It is an unknown quantity without trying a bit first.

Spencer McMurtry

Thanks gino, mikepro, dave drane. i am charging $600 i am going to try to remove with out the zapper tool. but if it is taking to long i will invest in this zapper tool! this is of course if they take the bid.

MikePro

I've never been a fan of the "rubbing" left behind from the wheel of the zapper... if you don't know what you're doing with it, you might be paying for a new paint job.

i guess same goes with a knife/scraper... could go either way, but I've always been a fan of lotsa heat... even a steam machine has done wonders for me on reflective removal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks gino, mikepro, dave drane. i am charging $600 i am going to try to remove with out the zapper tool. but if it is taking to long i will invest in this zapper tool! this is of course if they take the bid.

I've never been a fan of the "rubbing" left behind from the wheel of the zapper... if you don't know what you're doing with it, you might be paying for a new paint job.

If I wasn't using the zapper, I wouldn't be doing it for $600. If I were you, once you get the job...... I'd order it right off the bat and save yourself a lot of time and elbow grease. Makes for more drinking time later. :toasting:

As for the rubbing left behind, that only takes minutes to remove. After four or five years using this tool, we've never ruined a thing. However, you have to make sure you're not rubbing out plastic parts. You have to handle it differently on plastic and not be quite as aggressive.

Hope ya get t it.... and the job !! :thumb:

royster13

Do you get to charge more because you take longer because you do not use the right tools for the job?.....Seems to me a job is worth XXX no matter how you do it....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you get to charge more because you take longer because you do not use the right tools for the job?.....Seems to me a job is worth XXX no matter how you do it....

:ROFLMAO: Where have you been ??
A two-sided 4’ x 8’ sign from 35 years ago was worth $425. Today with modern equipment, higher prices on everything and the cost of living…. most people here brag about selling them for $250. You do the math or connect the dots……… :doh:

signmeup

What if the zapper won't take it off for whatever unforseen reason? You get to remove it for $600 even if it takes a full week for each truck? Read Trik's post....

Jillbeans

Shop rate x time to remove.
Last week I took reflective off two dump truck doors. Just one layer, Times Roman looking font all white. Each door took over two hours.

When you are removing someone else's job, you never know what type of vinyl they used.
It's a real gamble. This stuff tore into tiny shreds.
I always try to use a layered method when doing my own reflective jobs, 3M over a cast outline. That way it's not as miserable to remove.

Often if you quote high enough the client will do it themselves, then you only have to deal with all the adhesive they leave behind. Rapid Remover takes care of that.
Gotta do another removal tomorrow for the same company and believe me I'm dreading it. But I will get paid for it.

I use a hair dryer (because I think a heat gun is too hot) a L'il Chisler and Rapid Remover.
Also swear at it the whole time because it makes me feel better.
Love....Jill

TheSnowman

If you have to bid it, I'd do one and let them decide like was said before. I normally shoot high so I'm not eating it. If they don't like I tell them that if they are already paying someone else full time that they just need "work" to do, they can have them remove it, but it's a horrible waste of time.

Word to the wise on the zapper...you may have a ghost image left around it. I haven't ever used it on a car cause I'm not ballzy enough, but I've used it on alumalite a lot, and you can still see where the wheel ran even on white.

theskipman_98

One other thought:

Get a waiver for any damages that may be caused by the vinyl removal. We stripped county vehicle at my last shop. Unknown to us the vehicle had been in an accident, and had been repainted. When I removed the reflective off the door in question, it took the paint off down to the metal. Needless to say the customer was ticked, because they were not planning to do any repainting!

Dave Drane

If you have to bid it, I'd do one and let them decide like was said before. I normally shoot high so I'm not eating it. If they don't like I tell them that if they are already paying someone else full time that they just need "work" to do, they can have them remove it, but it's a horrible waste of time.

Word to the wise on the zapper...you may have a ghost image left around it. I haven't ever used it on a car cause I'm not ballzy enough, but I've used it on alumalite a lot, and you can still see where the wheel ran even on white.

I have found that the vinyl comes off car paint better than any other substrate. The amount of pressure has a lot to do with it. keep it moving and don't hold it too tight against the surface. I have found that it will actually polish the paint?? After finishing a quick rub with cutting compound brings the surface straight back with no ghosting.:wine-smi: