• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help spec'ing a new system...

54warrior

Next question...

Is Photoshop/Illy/Dreamweaver CS3 going to jive with the 64-bit OS???

Is CorelDraw X3 going to jive with the 64-bit OS???

Is 3D StudioMax 8 going to jive with the 64-bit OS???

choucove

We have had Photoshop CS3 running on a Windows XP Pro x64 system for three years without issue, and I have had Photoshop CS3 running on my Windows 7 RC 64-bit system for almost a year now without any issues. You will have no problems there from my knowledge and experience so far.

3D StudioMax I know keeps quite up to date with support of new software and hardware features. I'm not sure if the version is full 64-bit software, but I am positive it will still work fine in a 64-bit OS. After all, there are a ton of people out there working with 3D or CAD tools that have made the switch to 64-bit because of the increased memory capabilities.

Liquid GraphX

I have had Win 7-64bit with Corel X3 for over a year. I got a RC off Technet. I just reinstalled everything and works good!

You can downlod XP compatibilty mode and run any program on it. The program won't know the difference.

Windows 7 Pro would work great. Ultimate is really not needed unless you really need bitlocker.

Looks like you have some great ideas on hardware...good luck

54warrior

Well, I went a bit different route. Parts should be here this week and assembly should occur on Saturday.

• AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
  • ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
  • 2 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
  • 2 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
  • Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port
  • Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
  • LG WH08LS20K Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 8X Blu-ray Burner

Got a Combo Deal on Case/Power Supply, and Processor/MBoard/VidCard

$1200 shipped (includes some other odds/end pieces as well)

choucove

For the components that is a pretty good deal. I recognize a lot of good-quality components in there. The only thing that I would be worried about is if you try to add additional video cards in the future for Crossfire your power supply might not have enough overall power to handle it all. Just something to keep in mind and I could be completely wrong!

Letterbox Mike

Not too bad, should be a good computer, especially for the price. My only comment is to add more RAM soon, with 64 bit windows, you can take advantage of so much more than just 4gb, and RAM's cheap.

54warrior

Not too bad, should be a good computer, especially for the price. My only comment is to add more RAM soon, with 64 bit windows, you can take advantage of so much more than just 4gb, and RAM's cheap.

Sorry, should have been more clear in the RAM description.. i got 2 x 4GB for a total of 8GB.

54warrior

Ahh, good work!

i am taking some heat on another forum for going with AMD, but my current PC has an AMD and I've been happy. Either way this new one is gonna smoke my old PC.

Plan is to use the second 500gb hard drive for my scratch disk. I can do that right?

choucove

I've used AMD processors in many desktops and no problem. I remember TomsHardware received a lot of flack for more than a year because of only using Intel-based systems for benchmarking. They ended up doing a very detailed and thorough comparison of AMD vs. Intel within a given budget and found out something very interesting: If you were to take the money you saved on processor and platform when purchasing an AMD system versus an Intel system and put that money back into other things such as better storage system or better graphics card, both computers performed identically in the end. In fact, when I first bought and built my system (AMD Phenom II X4 955, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX280) it was able to BEAT the average benchmarkings of a similarly spec'ed Core i7 920 system AT HIGH RESOLUTIONS. However, that's only in games. The top-line Intel processors still are slightly more powerful in some tasks than the AMD processors, but you will pay a price premium for that!

54warrior

Thanks everyone for your help and support!!!

This is one of those things that, having never done it before, I was concerned, but it was really, really easy!!!! Everything is up and running smoothly! Just gotta re-install all of my old programs and move all the files from old to new!

Can anyone guess which is old and which is new? LOL

Bonus Points to whomever can name the CD that is lying there!!!

ComputerLarge.jpg

choucove

Looking good! I'm glad to hear that everything went together well for you. If you just use common sense and take your time on your first build, they really should never have much problems so long as everything is compatible.