• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with a wrap...

Tony Rome

I am pretty new to wrapping, maybe have a dozen or so under my belt.
My wraps have gone well in the past and with every one I was getting better and more comfortable.
Here is the problem, the last one I did had me extremely frustrated.
I was wrapping a van (4 vertical panels) and I had the toughest time lining up the panels. They would be lined up perfect and before you know it I get towards the bottom and it was off.
I am not sure if I was pulling the roll as I was going down or what the hell was happening, but after a while it started feeling like I was doing my first wrap!

A few questions....
Do you print vertical registration lines to line up the panels?
Did you ever have everything lined up perfect only to go off when you get towards the bottom, if so what causes that?

Big question, I think some of my problem is I switched to Oracal 3951RA and it seemed tough to reposition, anyone use this...like it or hate it?

I was looking for a 3M replacement something with a little less $ but not totally cheap...any recommendations?
Anyone use Arlon or Mactec?

What about seems how wide, how can I make them less noticeable?

Thanks for any answers, this was a bad week!
Final product looked great but it took way too long too get there.
Thanks!

mnapuran

I have used 3951RA for most of our wraps... I'm used to it.

As for your problem... yes, I'm sure you are stretching the material. Start in the center and work out from there, and keep an eye on where you are so you don't have the same problems you are having now.

Also, if you want something a bit more cost effective and a bit easier to work with... try the new Oracal 3751RA

4R Graphics

No real recommendation on material I have used Avery supercast(very thin easy to stretch) 3M IJ180 and oracal 3951 personally they all have pros and cons. Personally unless your doing simple flat stuff the small savings in material cost will bite you on the install.

Now for the registration issue it sounds as though you are maybe putting to much down pressure and or squegeeing down which can cause the vinyl to stretch also whats the temp in the shop if its really warm it can cause the vinyl to stretch when you apply it.

Fix - keep shop at cooler temp say mid 70's, squegee side to side from center, put LIGHT pressure on material when you pull it down to get smooth.

Seams I have seen anywhere from 1/4 inch to 2 inches the manufacturers recommend 1/2 inch theres really no way to make them less noticable.

What we do is try to design the wrap to where you have a panel cover a section of the vehicle and trim it so it is in door seams etc(seamless look) somtimes you cant do that such as vans and some full size trucks on those vehicles we try to do a horizontal panel install and have the seam way down at the bottom or in a body crease so its not really noticable.