• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with outdoor sign

llombardo

I primarily do apparel, however I do small signs. The largest I have done was 4X8. I just did two 4X8 for a customer who liked them and now wants one 5X20 non-lighted sign on the outside of his building mounted to the wall.

I am seeking any input on how to go about doing it eg: cut vinyl, printed panel etc. as well as sugested substrate.

OR should I just pass it on to a regular sign company and stick to what I know.

Please give me suggestions on how you would build and attach it.

Thank You

TammieH

5 x 20 isn't so big, you could make it out of two 5x10 sheets of aluminum composite...depending on the building, if its flat block you can, silicone and screws or plastic hammer drives, if you wanted to keep it simple.

You can use treated stringers and frame, if the surface is irregular.

Some will tell you to go with a welded steel or aluminum frame and attach aluminum or aluminum composite to that normally with VHB tape.

The last way is by far the best of course, depends on your customers budget and how comfortable you are doing the job.

FatCat

Something many people don't consider who are new or don't regularly do installation work for signs is the TOTAL liability of what they install. As a sign installer, you are basically telling your customer that you know what you are doing and that if there is a problem you will be accountable for it. Most experienced installers will tell you that anything and everything can happen on an install. You could drop a panel that you are trying to install, damage the building, a nearby car, or God forbid hurt yourself or another person. And this isn't saying anything about whether or not you used the proper materials, install methods, hardware or took into account the numerous other variables you should know about before you install any significant sign. Trust me, you don't want to get a call after a windy day and find out one of your panels went sailing and damaged something or someone. Also, have you checked with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered to do this type of work? I am not saying that you can't figure out how to install this sign - but understand that should something happen, YOU will be the one held accountable for any and all damages caused.

llombardo

5 x 20 isn't so big, you could make it out of two 5x10 sheets of aluminum composite...depending on the building, if its flat block you can, silicone and screws or plastic hammer drives, if you wanted to keep it simple.

Some will tell you to go with a welded steel or aluminum frame and attach aluminum or aluminum composite to that normally with VHB tape.

The last way is by far the best of course, depends on your customers budget and how comfortable you are doing the job.

Tammy,

Thank you for your great ideas and expertise. How much do you think would be reasonable for a sign like this? Also, it is a flat building with a stucco finish.

llombardo

Something many people don't consider who are new or don't regularly do installation work for signs is the TOTAL liability of what they install. As a sign installer, you are basically telling your customer that you know what you are doing and that if there is a problem you will be accountable for it. Most experienced installers will tell you that anything and everything can happen on an install. You could drop a panel that you are trying to install, damage the building, a nearby car, or God forbid hurt yourself or another person. And this isn't saying anything about whether or not you used the proper materials, install methods, hardware or took into account the numerous other variables you should know about before you install any significant sign. Trust me, you don't want to get a call after a windy day and find out one of your panels went sailing and damaged something or someone. Also, have you checked with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered to do this type of work? I am not saying that you can't figure out how to install this sign - but understand that should something happen, YOU will be the one held accountable for any and all damages caused.

Thank you so the info Sean. I agree and was just curious as to the mounting. I am going to sub out the install to a qualified professional. I dont do installations, just in house assembly.

2B

:goodpost:

trik

A couple of other things to consider. Since I don't know the sign codes for your city. Is a permit required? Is the building allowed that size sign. It is 100 sq ft, so I would find all that out. Good luck.

llombardo

A couple of other things to consider. Since I don't know the sign codes for your city. Is a permit required? Is the building allowed that size sign. It is 100 sq ft, so I would find all that out. Good luck.

That didn't even cross my mind. I might be better off passing this one along to a professional.

Thank you all for the great advise!

InstantOneMedia

Something many people don't consider who are new or don't regularly do installation work for signs is the TOTAL liability of what they install. As a sign installer, you are basically telling your customer that you know what you are doing and that if there is a problem you will be accountable for it
.... I am not saying that you can't figure out how to install this sign - but understand that should something happen, YOU will be the one held accountable for any and all damages caused.

Lots of great advice that I think a lot of less experienced people may not consider but should heed.

Mosh

Make the sign from 2 4x10's and let the customer deal with the install and permit issues.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gorilla.............

Which Exeter are you in ?? There's a few of them in PA. I live in Exeter, PA.... and never heard of you.

2B

Hey Gorilla.............

Which Exeter are you in ?? There's a few of them in PA. I live in Exeter, PA.... and never heard of you.

you have multiple towns/cities with the same name in the same state? bet that gets confusing with Mail or giving directions to people whom don't know otherwise

Gino

Premium Subscriber
you have multiple towns/cities with the same name in the same state? bet that gets confusing with Mail or giving directions to people whom don't know otherwise

In Pennsylvania, we have something since the 60's called ZIP codes. It works quite well.

I live on the Daniel Boone Homestead Reserve. The actual house is about 5 or so miles from me. Anyway, here's a real confusing one for ya......

The road running east and west at the old homestead is called Daniel Boone Road.... and about 1/2 mile down the first cross road is Daniel Boone Road. Both are named and spelled exactly the same and go on for miles. Try making refrigerator deliveries or finding a customer who just ordered some home delivery pizza in a hurry.

We have lotsa that kinda stuff, but for some reason, it doesn't interfere with much of anything...... I guess.

We have several cities with the name like Temple, Glenside, evidently Exeter..... and probably others, but one thing we do have that no one else has is some really great names :

Bird-in-Hand, Paradise, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Virginville, Beaver, Pigs Ear, Burning Bush, Coon Hunter..... and the Redskins might hafta change their name. :rolleyes:

Jillbeans

We also have paradise, Panic, and Desire.

Check your permit allowances, I would do the 5'x10' aluminum composite and aluminum tubing
(both available via N Glantz or Pioneer)
Love....Jill

llombardo

Hey Gorilla.............

zip 18643. Exeter Borough, Luzerne county. I beleive there is an Exeter Twp in Luzerne county and one in Bucks county.....so confusing

llombardo

We also have paradise, Panic, and Desire.

Check your permit allowances, I would do the 5'x10' aluminum composite and aluminum tubing
(both available via N Glantz or Pioneer)
Love....Jill

Jill where can I purchase those that wont kill me on truck frieght?

Len