• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with outsourcing cutting

bwsaw

Hey guys, I'm new to the industry and was hoping for some help in outsourcing vinyl cutting. I assumed the first step would be to get the supplier to dropship my roll of vinyl to a local sign shop. However, the problem is that each customer I have will need different dimensions of vinyl. Would it be possible for the sign shop to keep my roll of vinyl there, and then cut the dimensions I need whenever I get an order? Would I have better luck trying this with something like sign365 rather than a local shop? Any other ideas of how I can do this, and any ballpark of what I would pay?

Side note, what does outsourcing laminating typically cost?

EDIT: I need custom dimensions in both length and width. Is it harder to find someone who can do both, as opposed to just lopping off one end?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Turnergraphics

Hey guys, I'm new to the industry and was hoping for some help in outsourcing vinyl cutting. I assumed the first step would be to get the supplier to dropship my roll of vinyl to a local sign shop. However, the problem is that each customer I have will need different dimensions of vinyl.

Since nobody responded I'll try and help you by suggesting you make the plunge and spend about $1500 on a vinyl cutter. Mine is the Graphtec ce5000. Learning to handle your own vinyl cutting will pay for itself in little time.

Turnergraphics

Since nobody responded I'll try and help you by suggesting you make the plunge and spend about $1500 on a vinyl cutter. Mine is the Graphtec ce5000. Learning to handle your own vinyl cutting will pay for itself in little time.

With that said, check out www.stahls.com. They cut custom orders.

bwsaw

Hey guys, I'm new to the industry and was hoping for some help in outsourcing vinyl cutting. I assumed the first step would be to get the supplier to dropship my roll of vinyl to a local sign shop. However, the problem is that each customer I have will need different dimensions of vinyl.

This would be ideal, but my extremely tight living conditions and space restrictions do not permit me to have my own vinyl cutter. I also need to cut 48" rolls, making it substantially more expensive. Thank you for the reference though!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The problem you're going to have is getting any outsource to stock and use your vinyl. Most will want to have you use whatever they stock.

bwsaw

The problem you're going to have is getting any outsource to stock and use your vinyl. Most will want to have you use whatever they stock.

Are there outsources that only provide say, printing and cutting services, and are used to "storing" material their clients dropship?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Are there outsources that only provide say, printing and cutting services, and are used to "storing" material their clients dropship?

Not that I know of. Most outsources don't like that arrangement because of issues that arise when material gets wasted through error etc. or if there are warranty issues. It is much easier to stand behind one's own material choices than what a client might send to them.

Last edited:

Typestries

We offer to the trade cutting services. Typically it's for the vinyl wider than 24" since most of our clients have 24" cutters. We can cut up to 60" media.

Just send us your vinyl (we need 3' extra length on all plots). Upload your files at weprintyouprofit.com. if you send me an email at rick@typestries.com I'll send you a price list for our trade services.

I'd still suggest you purchase a small cutter-even a used one of good quality. You can likely find one sub $500.

CanuckSigns

Not that I know of. Most outsources don't like that arrangement because of issues that arise when material gets wasted through error etc. or if there are warranty issues. It is much easier to stand behind one's own material choices that what a client might send to them.

Yup most places won't use your materials for the simple reason that if something goes wrong during cutting (which it sometimes does) you may feel they "owe" you something for the material they "wasted". Also, you are never going to get 50 yards of sell-able useage out of a 50 yard roll, especially when you are doing many small jobs, so there may be issues when they tell you they are out of your material, but according to your calculations, you should have 9 yards left.

I know I wouldn't do it, chances are, a client who wants to supply their own vinyl is as cheap as the day is long, and will never be a profitable customer.

bwsaw

I know I wouldn't do it, chances are, a client who wants to supply their own vinyl is as cheap as the day is long, and will never be a profitable customer.

Can you explain this a little more? I'm not offended, just want to understand the shop's point of view. I want to supply my own vinyl because it is for a product that requires a specific adhesive, and high quality dry-erase laminate that most shops don't stock.