• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with Roland CAMM-1 PNC1000A

Doot

Bought this plotter the other day and I can't get it to function properly with my computer.
I have no serial or parallel ports on my laptop so I got a parallel to usb cable. I install the drivers from the Roland website.
I make sure the cutter has the I/O set for parallel.
Printer shows up in windows but i can not cut from corel, illustrator or flexi.
I send jobs and it says it is printing in flexi's production manager but nothing, says it is printing in the windows printer dialog when I sen it from corel or illustrator.
But nothing cuts...
Any suggestions on how I can get this thing to work without hard wiring a serial or parallel from my laptop?

Thanks in advance guys.
Rob

OldPaint

you got the right DRIVER? DO27290OJ.EXE some think like that?
corle you have to asign HAIRLINE, to what you want to cut, and make a page to fit plotter.
you will get an error message...in the plotter window IGNORE IT

Doot

you got the right DRIVER? DO27290OJ.EXE some think like that?
corle you have to asign HAIRLINE, to what you want to cut, and make a page to fit plotter.
you will get an error message...in the plotter window IGNORE IT

Yeah I have the right driver, I pulled it strait from the Roland website.
Could you explain what you mean when you say "assign HAIRLINE"?

I have tried everything to get this thing to cut.
I know there has to be a way to gt this thing working.

Pat Whatley

What version of FlexiSign are you using?

If I remember right about the PNC-1000A you couldn't use standard cables on it, you had to use the one from Roland because they were wired differently that a standard cable. Don't quote me on that but I remember specifically having to go through my dealer to get the cable we needed.

Doot

What version of FlexiSign are you using?

If I remember right about the PNC-1000A you couldn't use standard cables on it, you had to use the one from Roland because they were wired differently that a standard cable. Don't quote me on that but I remember specifically having to go through my dealer to get the cable we needed.

Flexi 8
Illustrator CS3
and Corelx4

Pat Whatley

Call your Flexi dealer and get them to walk you through it, I'm not running a version higher than 6.6 so I can't tell you. Sounds like a port setting though.

Doot

Call your Flexi dealer and get them to walk you through it, I'm not running a version higher than 6.6 so I can't tell you. Sounds like a port setting though.

I don't think it is an issue with my software.
I heard something similar about the cables having to be a certain type.
I just bought a USB to Parallel cable at Circuit City so maybe I need something different.

Also read something about the way the handshake is set up between the printer and the comp. On the cutter the Handshake is set up as hardwire. I can't figure out how to change it so I don't know what other options there may be.

I don't know I am stumped.

ballgame

I use a laptop to test older cutters and the best way to do this is to use a PCI express card, I got one from startech.com. It creates a com port so I know exactly what port to use during setup

chris634

Doot,
It looks like we have the same problem. So keep me posted on what you figure out.

I just obtained an old Roland PNC-1000a from the early 1990's. I am using a Dell laptop, with XP home SP2 and that computer is a few years old. I don't have any serial or parallel ports on it.

I am just farting around with this as a hobby. So I really don't want to sink any money into expensive programs or hardware. I downloaded some shareware, SignGo lite to try it out. I also downloaded the XP driver for the machine from the Roland website.

My PNC-1000a is working properly (in itself) tests are fine straight from the machine. I believe all of the settings are fine too.

The connection and communications is something I believe is the problem. I have to use a parallel to usb adapter cable (Belkin). Unfortunately, according to the roland driver readme file, it says it cannot do a printer test. So that stinks. I am not sure if my computer is actually communicating with the Roland.

Every attempt to cut something I get the same result, "Data Transfer Complete" yet nothing happened.

One issue, is that SignGo doesn't recognize a USB port.

I am thinking that the machine is too old for the computer.

It's all about the port settings. My cutter is about 10 years old and I just hooked it up to a new comp with no serial or LPT ports. I did the same as you. I only use Flexi to cut and had to figure out the settings in production manager.