• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with substrates...

imagep

I know that similar questions have been asked a thousand times, I have looked at many of the old posts, but have not found the specific answers (plenty of answers, but most of them are kind of wishywashy and non-specific) to this specific question, so please don't flame me for post number 1001 on this question...

I currently offer 24", 36" and 48" banners (by 4 feet, 6 feet and 8 feet lengths) using cut vinyl. We keep all those sizes in stock and generally offer next day service.

We are getting our 48 inch (will print onto 51" material) Mutoh tommorow. I would like to start offering the same banner sizes, but I (think I) need to find a vendor who carries a line of banner materials in 27 inch, 39" inch and 51" widths so that we can seam (banner tape and grommet). And, it would be really sweet if this material could work for two sided banners (like we currently offer).

When I have looked for a two sided eco-solve printable banner material, all I typically find is 38" and 54", the 38" would be great, but we can't use the 54" (yet) and I would like to be able to offer more than one size of eco-solve printed banners.

So, where can I find three logical sizes of usable material (by the roll)? If we have to offer finished sizes slightly less than 24", 36" and 48" that is fine, and if we can't offer two sided banners that is fine, I realize that beggers can't be choosers. But it just seems that other sign companies would have the same needs as us, so it seems that some supplier would fullfill those needs. Or do I just forget about trying to offer three different sizes and just go for the 38".

Also, I would looking through the Fellers catalog at the car wrap materials, and noticed that they only offered 30", 54" and 60" widths for "High Performance Calendered". Did I make a huge mistake by not purchasing a 54" or 60" machine for wrap purposes (not really sure if we are going to do wraps anyway).? It seems that 30" material would be to small for wraps. Avery does have a 48" material, but I have read so many horror stories about Avery. 3M also offers a 48" material, but states that it is "medium-term durability on flat surfaces and moderate for coumpund curves". Is a durability rating of "moderate" good enough for wraps? I am also getting a laminiator, so if I laminated the 3M material, would that extend it's durability enough to make it suitable for wraps? Or am I maybe making to big a deal over all this.

And, one more question. The pre-made banners that we have been using for the past few years have a smooth side and a textured side. With cut vinyl we use both sides. Does banner material for ink jet printers have to be smooth on both sides? And if it is textured, is it possible to laminate it? Or is it advisable to laminate banners at all?

And what else do I need to know about eco-solve substrates? Yea, I mean everything I need to know, what questions am I too ignorant about to know to even ask the questions.

I need answers and I need them now (please). Man, am I confused. Finally, does anyone know the meaning to life, or alternatively, which came first, the chicken or the egg, and how much do I charge, and how long will it be until I am rich (just kidding about all that).

Scott

gnemmas

Banner material: order from feller's "regular banner" section, we use 13oz. 48" banner by 40 yards.

Vinyl: 3M Schotchcal 50, calendard vinyl with 5 year out door, again, Feller has 48" white & clear.

jiarby

Get the 1604!

We stock the 38" Jetflex and the 63" Roll. I have a 24" roll of some no-name cheapo in case I need to do a cut vinyl banner (but not very often)

We just trim the banner to size and hem. So a 48" x 96" banner would be printed on the 63" roll. The scrap is to little expense to mess with having half a dozen rolls in inventory.

P

ProWraps™

most finished banners are two inches shorter from top to bottom... 24's end up being 22's etc etc. as far as doing wraps. go with 3m control tac or orajet. they are both offered in 48" and so are the laminates. although we usually go with 54" laminate on the 48" to make sure if the print walks, we dont lose it.

cgsigns_jamie

We only stock the UltraFlex JetFlex (54" Roll) for banner material. For calendared vinyl I've been using the new 3M-IJ35, 3 year. For cast I use 3M IJ-180 or 3M IJ-180c for wraps. Used to buy all my 3M vinyl from Fellers until the Tubelite rep came to my office and I "Saw the Light". Tubelite is usually about 10¢ less per square foot, doesn't sound like much but when you buy a 54" x 150' roll that's $67.

P

ProWraps™

We only stock the UltraFlex JetFlex (54" Roll) for banner material. For calendared vinyl I've been using the new 3M-IJ35, 3 year. For cast I use 3M IJ-180 or 3M IJ-180c for wraps. Used to buy all my 3M vinyl from Fellers until the Tubelite rep came to my office and I "Saw the Light". Tubelite is usually about 10¢ less per square foot, doesn't sound like much but when you buy a 54" x 150' roll that's $67.

thanks for the heads up. we are always looking to save $50 or so bucks a roll. @ $67/roll thats like getting a free ink cartridge. it ads up. we typically beat the crap out of fellers and sign warehouse by playing each other off of one another. i learned that trick in my retail store. i just say he has it cheaper, what will you do for me, until someone is lower and i go with them. but ill checkout tubelite.

cgsigns_jamie

thanks for the heads up. we are always looking to same $50 or so bucks a roll. @ $67/roll thats like getting a free ink cartridge. it ads up. we typically beat the crap out of fellers and sign warehouse by playing each other off of one another. i learned that trick in my retail store. i just say he has it cheaper, what will you do for me, until someone is lower and i go with them. but ill checkout tubelite.

That's what I thought, I've been buying all my 3M (It's all we use) from Fellers for years I can't imagine how much money I could have saved if I'd known this earlier.

I

ilevelsign

ultraflex and sihl 13 oz gloss.Prints real sweet.Try it you just may like it.

imagep

Get the 1604!

We stock the 38" Jetflex and the 63" Roll. I have a 24" roll of some no-name cheapo in case I need to do a cut vinyl banner (but not very often)

We just trim the banner to size and hem. So a 48" x 96" banner would be printed on the 63" roll. The scrap is to little expense to mess with having half a dozen rolls in inventory.

So is there a trick to cutting the material (like some type of gizmo)? Do you price a 48" banner the same as a 63"? Why not print 24" banners (as opposed to cut vinyl)?