• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with through cutting on FC8000-160

Moth817Print

Good morning!

I have been struggling with my Graphtec cutter on doing through cut/pop out stickers. I have looked at idk how many forums on here, youtube videos, and I've scoured the Graphtec manual for any sort of method I can use but haven't found anything that works for me. I've even resorted to doing a default reset on my plotter to start from scratch.

My current setup:
*Cutting Master 4 plugin through Illustrator
*Tool is moved to front position (in the channel vs on the cutting strip)
*CB09U blade
*Speed 30
*Force 38
*Material is Orafol 3641 vinyl (3mil) with Arlon 3510 laminate (3.2mil)
*All four pinch rollers in use, all set with high pressure

For now I'm using scraps of sheets that this thing has butchered to try and figure everything out. After each copy it completes I pause, assess the quality of the cut, and make the tiniest adjustment to the blade length, but it seems to jump from "cutting only the vinyl" to the sort of result in the photo. I feel like this result might be because the blade is too far out and dragging the material with it but if I pull it back in at all it won't cut through. It's butchered 2 of my sheets already and I really don't want to trash any more!

When I first started cutting these sheets I thought I had everything set right, but it was only doing the decals on the edges correctly. I didn't realize that until after 3 or 4 sheets were done and I was caught up enough on my other work to start popping them out. The ones in the center of the sheet weren't cut through the backer, just the vinyl.

Yeah I have tried perf cut settings in both the plotter itself as well as Cutting Master 4 but neither setting resulted in a sticker that I could easily pop out. Other forums I found recommended against perf cutting and said to just do straight cuts but this obvs isn't working for me either.

Please help, anybody! This order is due tomorrow (gotta love when customers order at the last minute before their events...) and I have 1200 stickers to cut :(

Attachments

• 20240919_083804.jpg
    20240919_083804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

ss5520

This is how we calibrate our blade. We first adjust the blade outside of the holder, fold the label material and try cutting by hand such that it goes only through the label and the backer and doesn't cut the next. We adjust it turning the knob on the holder. Then you place it in the blade holder on the machine and at that thickness we are between a 25-28 force. We do the blade test and make sure that it cuts the triangle clean leaving a slight mark on the backer material. Also make certain that you only have one cut path, if it repeats the cut you will also get those results. For cutting, it should be in the back position, so it runs on the cutting strip. If you are going to perf, it needs to be on the front of the holder.

Moth817Print

Thanks for responding! I have been trying to adjust the blade but never doubled up on my materials. That will definitely help me be more accurate with it.
We do the blade test and make sure that it cuts the triangle clean leaving a slight mark on the backer material.
Even for through cut it should only leave a slight mark on the backer? I currently have my blade length set to do regular half cuts, but I'll probably set up a second tool plunger for through cuts so I don't have to change the blade length every time.

Also make certain that you only have one cut path
Absolutely a great thing to check. I do have only one pass for each cut line.

For cutting, it should be in the back position, so it runs on the cutting strip. If you are going to perf, it needs to be on the front of the holder
For regular half cutting it should be on the back position but I thought that through cut needs front? Otherwise my cutting strip will be destroyed. I've already had to replace it once bc the previous users never moved the blade forward

ss5520

No, if you are going to do if what I imagine a through cut to be a perf, you need to set a condition with more force so that it cuts the backer. Use one condition for perfing and another for kisscutting. The only think that moving the blade in the holder is doing is moving the position of the blade so that it doesn't cut the strip. In the Condition for the perf you need to set your up and cut length pattern. The Up will be your nicks that will hold your backer so that the labels don't fall off and the cut is the length of the cutting of the backer. Depending on the kind of label and size and pattern of the label how you adjust these values. If you put to few niks you will also get what you are getting the same results of jamming.

Moth817Print

No, if you are going to do if what I imagine a through cut to be a perf, you need to set a condition with more force so that it cuts the backer. Use one condition for perfing and another for kisscutting. The only think that moving the blade in the holder is doing is moving the position of the blade so that it doesn't cut the strip. In the Condition for the perf you need to set your up and cut length pattern. The Up will be your nicks that will hold your backer so that the labels don't fall off and the cut is the length of the cutting of the backer. Depending on the kind of label and size and pattern of the label how you adjust these values. If you put to few niks you will also get what you are getting the same results of jamming.
Yes I'm trying to set Condition 8 as my through cut. I've tried the perf cut setting in both the plotter itself (Cut Line Pattern) and in Cutting Master 4 but the blade wasn't cutting the backer at all, even at force 45. I'll have to see if Grimco equipment support can help. Just to get the job done I had to do a regular half cut and just trim the stickers down by hand which wasn't so bad. Thanks for the tips