• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hem Tape for Canvas Banners?

Signstein

Happy Friday S101!
Can anyone recommend an iron-on hem tape that is suitable for canvas? Specifically, I'm using the Magic 15mil polyblend (https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/MagicGFCVM).
Our F&B department continues to last-minute me for menus and I don't have time to send them for sewing. Would this stuff work?
1698409273106.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A simple google and you'll see it's for interior things like curtains and other thin fabrics.

richsweeney

I think you are talking about scrim banners. For smaller banners under 96x54, Then I use https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/PowerTape. Then I use a one part grommet from the back side. I only use about 1 inch, and never fold. I never have had a complaint.
And if a client wants a 36 tall banner with bleeds, then I supply them (without informing them) a 38 x whatever with a 1 inch white border. They do not care about the hemming or finishing. Unless you are silly enough to sell to a 3rd party.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
we’ve used regular double sided banner tape before and it was ok but definitely not as great as on vinyl scrim.

You might want to test it out and see if the heat will damage the print at all.

What about gluing it?

Or I think banner ups sells a pole banner sleeve tape. It’s thick and gummy and holds well and would likely work on until rougher canvas

Signstein

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently testing regular scrim banner tape and some of the iron-on hem tape I posted above. These will only be about 2'x3' and will be hanging under covered patios, so hopefully they will last a couple months until it's time to update the menus again. I'll update with my results. Thanks all!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I think you are talking about scrim banners. For smaller banners under 96x54, Then I use https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/PowerTape. Then I use a one part grommet from the back side. I only use about 1 inch, and never fold. I never have had a complaint.
And if a client wants a 36 tall banner with bleeds, then I supply them (without informing them) a 38 x whatever with a 1 inch white border. They do not care about the hemming or finishing. Unless you are silly enough to sell to a 3rd party.

Wait, you use hem tape and don't fold it? Huh?

Signstein

Okay, well, the iron-on hem tape works about as well as regular banner tape - IF you manage to get the heat/duration perfect. Some test pieces held really well in spots but left some spots completely unfused. So, I'm scrapping the idea of iron-on hem tape. Not worth the extra effort of trying to perfectly iron it. It could also be this particular material - it's pretty smooth. Could be why the regular banner tape works well enough.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Okay, well, the iron-on hem tape works about as well as regular banner tape - IF you manage to get the heat/duration perfect. Some test pieces held really well in spots but left some spots completely unfused. So, I'm scrapping the idea of iron-on hem tape. Not worth the extra effort of trying to perfectly iron it. It could also be this particular material - it's pretty smooth. Could be why the regular banner tape works well enough.
have you tried a fabric store? There are some hem tapes for material that might fuse better without an iron.