• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi Performance Cast vs Tranlucent Vinyl

Charlie J

I'm doing some lettering on some white pan faces. The text is going to be black. Can I just use regular hi performance black or does it need to be translucent black?

HulkSmash

I'm doing some lettering on some white pan faces. The text is going to be black. Can I just use regular hi performance black or does it need to be translucent black?

translucent if you want light to shine through it.
It's pretty expensive stuff - make sure you charge accordingly.

Malkin

Regular high performance is just fine, as you don't need light to shine through the black.

The translucent variety simply has a sheen level (#winning) that is consistent with the other translucent colors.

HulkSmash

Regular high performance is just fine, as you don't need light to shine through the black.

The translucent variety simply has a sheen level (#winning) that is consistent with the other translucent colors.

i've done high performance black on pan faces, and have had MANY customers complain light doesn't shine through and they can't see it at night. So i guess it's preference.

Charlie J

I don't think the light will need to shine thru.

Here's the sign layout
attachment.php

Attachments

• drive thru.jpg
    drive thru.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Malkin

i've done high performance black on pan faces, and have had MANY customers complain light doesn't shine through and they can't see it at night. So i guess it's preference.

Something here doesn't make sense, since black should be opaque on any sign that is lit up (internal or even reflective).

What am I missing?

Doyle

In my experience, black is black and if any light is allowed to pass through, it isn't black. I use opaque hp cast black, never had an issue.

Custom_Grafx

+1

At night it'll look fine, but in the daytime, the black will be glossy and the arrow won't.

Depends how fussy your client is.

Explain that to them, then tell them how much di$$erent it is and let them make the call.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
+1

At night it'll look fine, but in the daytime, the black will be glossy and the arrow won't.

Depends how fussy your client is.

Explain that to them, then tell them how much di$$erent it is and let them make the call.

He could slap some gloss lam over the arrow and they'd look the same.

You've probably finished the sign by now but I thought I would offer my 2 cents.

First of all, besides being an oxmoron, translucent black (and bronze) is completely opaque. If you put a 2 mil cast black next to translucent black on a lighted sign face, you will see that the cast is somewhat blochy. The translucent will be dead solid opaque. While this may not make much difference from far away, it will be noticable if the face is viewed from close range. The other advantage you gain using the translucent black is consistency in the matte finish of translucent vinyls.

If quality of your work is important, then "translucent" black is the way to go.