• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Honest opinion please

prototype66

I was wondering about some of the lower priced "starter packages" out there such as ones from places like Sign Warehouse and the like. I have a computer set up with Corel Draw 4 and the Adobe SC4 Creative suite as well from the design company end of my business.
I was thinking about a 24 or 28 plotter/cutter and a sign software pkg with a vinyl starter kit. Tools , transfer tape and a few sample rolls of vinyl. I have hundreds of snap Olfa blades but need weeder tools and stuff to . I know there are a lot of other things I will need but I want to start kinda slow at first. Recomendations, warnings (aside from the obvious "get what you pay for" part that I am very well aware of!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any comments or links you have.

:thankyou:

Mosh

What do you know about making signs? From your post does not look like you know anything about it, other than you need a sticker cutting machine. What kind of signs are you planning on making? How much do you want to spent? I myself think
the package deals are a rip, preying on people like you who do not know what they are buying.

Have you ever made a sign before? Corel 4, I hope you mean X4. I had Corel 4 back in 1993.

dj_elite

Do not buy a cheap Ebay cutter. Buy brand name or you'll be wasting vinyl. Had a friend who bought one. Thought he was cool because I have a 42" Graphtec and he got an Ebay 50 something inch. Bigger is better right? Haha his would start going haywire halfway through a cut and ruin his vinyl. Get what you pay for

Brandon708

Do not buy a cheap Ebay cutter. Buy brand name or you'll be wasting vinyl. Had a friend who bought one. Thought he was cool because I have a 42" Graphtec and he got an Ebay 50 something inch. Bigger is better right? Haha his would start going haywire halfway through a cut and ruin his vinyl. Get what you pay for

Just to correct you. You can buy Graphtec plotters on Ebay. Just not as many of them as the other plotters that come in 31" lol

prototype66

ok sorry. Clear my post up a bit. Commercial painting contractor (which included sign prep and hand painted graphics and some occasional vinyl application) which I did with help from a friend of mine that ownes a signage company in Orlando.
Also where the blades come from.
No I have never been in the actual business of making the signs as of yet but have lettered vans, cars, applies d pinstripes and also have done yard signs and magnets albeit not frequently.
Yes I know its not as simple as buying a "sticker machine" as well but I am here trying to see what I don't know yet and I do know that it is a lot I need to learn. That is also why I am starting out very slowly, asking questions of the professionals and only doing what I have done in the past to start with.

Oh and as for the Corel yes X4. But I preffer the AI SC4 to Corel for some things and Corel X4 for others.

I do graphic design and logo design and have sinse 2004. I am getting ready to do a full redesign for one of my clients and he wants me to reletter his vehicles as well........
hence why I am here.

sorry for the confusion

prototype66

Just to correct you. You can buy Graphtec plotters on Ebay. Just not as many of them as the other plotters that come in 31" lol
Would you suggest 31" as opposed to say a 24" to start with?
What about the Sign Warehouse brand....I was told those are re-badged Graphtec machines. But are they realy or just elcheapo ones made by them for SW?

Brandon708

Correct me if I'm wrong but you will also need a Sign program like Flexisign Pro to cut vinyl. Retail cost on that program is over $4k

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would not worry about your experience too much, most people here are self-taught.

I would stick to the lower end Graphtec or Summa cutters. You can design in Illy or Corel, just remember a cutter needs a path to follow to "expand" and "expand appearance" will be your friend.

For software, a bridge program is fine, you don't need full blown Flexi Pro.

I got my first cutter at Signwarehouse and was a good experience.

Brandon708

Would you suggest 31" as opposed to say a 24" to start with?
What about the Sign Warehouse brand....I was told those are re-badged Graphtec machines. But are they realy or just elcheapo ones made by them for SW?

The size depends on what your going to do. Vinyl comes in 15",24",30",48" which one are you going to use the most? Are you going to be doing large scale projects?

I wouldn't get anything less than a 30" plotter. But I myself wouldn't buy a plotter that size though because I need to contour cut prints off a printer that is larger than that.

Look into the Graphtec vinyl cutters.

Graphics2u

I Started out on my own with a Signwarehouse vinyl cutting package over 13 years ago. I'm not sure how their cutters are now but that was a great little machine I had! Loved it! It cut very nicely and nearly zero problems. I still used that along with my bigger Mutoh Ultima up until last year when it finally died. :banghead: So I think if you are just needing something small to get you going that would be a good way to go. I wouldn't buy the absolute cheapest thing you find but you should be able to get a decent cutter for not alot of dough. Really your purchase is only as good as the dealer you get it from. Some hate Signwarehouse and others love them. I never had any problems with them.

dj_elite

I actually got mine from signwarehouse, it is a vinyl express but yes it is a graphtec.

I mean ebay chinese crap!

Brandon708

One more important if buying a plotter. Make sure your plotter has adjustable feet rollers to accept any size of vinyl opposed to the plotters with the perforated vinyl that you can only cut one size vinyl roll.

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

I bought a Sign Warehouse 24 inch cutter the low priced kit one about $700 comes with a version of flex 8.6
the bad 1st... what they send as far as material is not true no big deal to me
the cutter it self is low priced indeed makes noise and tiny letters like 1/2 inch well no

The good it seems to work well for 3/4 inch and bigger and have no problems with it so far
note... I use it very little and only had it 10 months my use is for door hours and such simple cut vinyl work.

Service is excellent from Sign Warehouse they seem more then willing to help they helped replace my.... damaged secure dongle ... after my warranty had just expired.
As far as software it works well and you are suppose to be able to put stuff from other programs in to cut , but I've not done that yet, since my Corel draw program is locked in my other non working PC.
Up grading software sure wold help me,

Over all I'm happy till I can afford a US made cutter like the better brand names.

prototype66

so it sounds like a 30 plotter with friction feed not sprocket gears. The package does come with Flexi 8 so I hope that will cover the Program and bridge application from AI.
Good to know guys ! And the more I think about it the Ebay thing does look too good to be true....which it it probably is.
I was thinking 24" but for a little more why not do 30" just in case!