• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How and why to lubricate bearing raceways on a printer?

RG

I bought a Mutoh XPJ printer about 8 months ago. Mutoh's instructions say to clean and re-lubricate the bearing raceways once a month. My first question is why? These bearings are totally enclosed and permanently lubricated. Do they slide along the raceways or roll along the raceways or both? None of the lubricant on the raceways can get inside the bearings. So why put lubricant there? My second question is what is the best way to apply lubricant to the top and bottom, inside raceways where you can't see what you are doing?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Main deal is to keep them clean so those sealed bearings can roll smooth. A very light film of grease might keep them from binding against the rails - I guess.
To get to the hard-to-reach ones I took a cleaning swab, used a lighter on the plastic handle near the head to bend it into a hooked 'J' shape. Dab the tip and hook it into the back rails. Don't put much - roll the head back and forth to spread it and make sure it rolls smoothly.