• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how digital can bite you in the a$$

cartoad

For what it is worth, I would bite the bullet and redo the sign based on what you have said. The reson being is that the customer expects, and should receive a proof free of errors made at our end. Now if the customer gives us the wrong info such as a phone number, and we produce it after they have proofed it, well then it is their mistake, not ours. We do give them a break on the redo, and this has resulted in a number of reorders and loyal customers. Still sucks, no matter how you slice it.

Jon Aston

Forgo the transactional cost, in light of the lifetime value of your customer... combined purchases and referrals. If you can find a way to "Wow!" them, then they are infinitely more likely to share their good fortune (in dealing with you) with their friends and colleagues.

Make it right. Redo it. Send them an invoice at 100% discount that shows the value you are giving them, as a valued customer.

And...

Consider this an opportunity to review and revise your business policies and process(es) so that this kind of error won't recur.

2 (late) cents from the peanut gallery.

MITCHATEXOTIC

Another angle

Though I rarely agree with Pro Wraps he has a point that could be expounded on.The lay-out guy most likely used spell check....well "join" is a word. And possibly if you sent your customer a .PDF proof he too used spell check...all this crap just shows we are all getting lazy.My vote is to re-do it right and move on it probably wont take much more time than all these post.

gabagoo

OK here's how it all went down. I tell you this. Thank God I did not redo the sign...details later. In any case I printed a slug of black on Monday and let it sit until this morning , then cut 3 of the word "Joint" just in case I screwed up. Called the client and he said sure come on up. I drove through a snow flurry or 3 and it took about 40 minutes to get there and it was a nice drive actually. Got there, met Ed and he took me to the sign. I have to admit it did look great in the staff lunchroom and he told me the president had come out and looked it over and really loved it. Ok so I go to work on the sign and this guy Ed stays with me. I figure I be in and out in 15 minutes. I masked the area around the old word and then used 2" premask to completely surround the area just in case any of the solution were to accidently hit anything else close. The ink came off beautifully although it left the gloss vinyl a little matt looking but no worries as this new word would camouflage most of it. As I finish up this 1 minute install this otherfellow walks over and starts talking to Ed and says hey Ed are we going to fix that other spelling error. WHAT!!! I exclaim and sure enough there was again a word that spell check would not catch. It was small maybe 1/4" letters that were supposed to say "roll forming" but said "Roll farming"!!!! I had to laugh and I told Ed, no problem I am going to send you 4 "O"'s printed on white and your going to put this down yourself. You have 4 chances to get it right. He was fine with it and I think he also realized that he was the one that signed off on this. In any case we both got a chuckle out of it. So I was in and out in 15 minutes with a nice leisurely drive both ways (snow flurries weeeee).

Good thing I did not reprint, I would have been pissed.

Last edited:

gabagoo

well apparently they had found it days before I got there and nobody told me, heck I could have fixed them both while I was there.