• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much alchohol do I add to concrete so it won't freeze?

signmeup

I mix up bags of ready mix concrete for post hole signs. It's getting cold here and I have a couple of signs that I need to install in concrete/tubes. Anyone know how much alchohol I need to add per bag of ready mix? Or maybe it's some other additive I need? :Canada:

rcook99

If you put some straw over the top as insulation for a day or two you should be fine. It really has not been cold enough for the frost line to move down that deep. I actually saw a company pouring sidewalks along one of the State roads 2 weeks ago and they had insulated blankets they put over the sidewalks for a few days. The link below might aswer some of your questions.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/441_Concrete_In_Cold_Weather.shtml

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I usually use about a fifth of Bushmills, but it goes in me.... the heck with the cement. We just use 'Quik Set'. Sets up in an hour and besides, unless you're in deep snow or ice... don't worry about it.

Mosh

I put down 8 or 12 beers every night and I have not froze yet.

Cover it with some foam insultation and you sould be fine, unless you are like 50 below 0,

Poconopete

Use hot water, add some calcium chloride as mentioned, add extra cement (just cement not the mix), cover with plastic-12" of straw then more plastic. Do not pour below 28°F. If concrete freezes before it crystallizes, it will have no strength.