• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much concrete / Postecrete for a 6M flagpole?

PrintItBig

Hi,

We need to install some flagpoles and it's not something we normally do.

The total length of the poles are 6 meters (20 foot). They have a 600mm (2 foot) sleeve which is set into concrete. The pole then slides into the sleeve after the concrete is set. So the total height of the pole above the ground after install is approximately 5.4 metres (18 foot). The ground in the install location is pretty firm. How big a hole do you guys thing we need to dig and fill with concrete to make these secure?

The flag graphics themselves are 1M (3.3 foot) wide x 2M (6.6 foot) tall and are fixed at the top on a rotating arm. They'll be up for around 6 months to a year.

Also, can we use Postcrete for the is type of thing or is proper concrete needed?

Thanks.

FS-Keith

You dont concrete small flag poles in typically, the plastic sleeve is concreted in then you put the pole inside that and compact sand in there. this allows the pole to be removed in the future or easily replaced

I would do a 18"x 42" hole and concrete the sleeve in. put the pole in straight and pour sand in and tamp the sand around the pole

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Also, can we use Postcrete for the is type of thing or is proper concrete needed?

Thanks.

Postcrete etc. is rather low quality concrete. Crap actually. Use Sackrete or some other actual concrete mix. Better, get a 1/4 yard of concrete mix and a bag of Portland cement and mix it yourself. Best, see if someone is going to be pouring concrete in the vicinity and arrange for a 1/4 yard drop off with whomever is ordering the pre-mix.

The previously mentioned 18"x42" hold will require more that 6 cubic feet of concrete.

PrintItBig

You dont concrete small flag poles in typically, the plastic sleeve is concreted in then you put the pole inside that and compact sand in there. this allows the pole to be removed in the future or easily replaced.
I would do a 18"x 42" hole and concrete the sleeve in. put the pole in straight and pour sand in and tamp the sand around the pole

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that's the plan... Concrete the sleeve in then insert pole into sleeve.

Regarding your measurements do you mean make the hole 18" deep or 18" wide?

Thanks.

2B

Bob is saying 18"w x 42"d

the ratio we have always used isDig the hole so diameter of the hole is 3 times the width of the post (i.e., the hole for a 4” wood post should be about 12 inches wide).
The depth of the hole should be 1/3-1/4 the post height above ground (i.e., a 6-foot tall would require a hole depth of at least 2 feet).

the cement we use is QUIKRETE 80-lb Gray High Strength Concrete Mix, get it at Lowe's

PrintItBig

Thanks for the reply but as explained the sleeve that comes with the post is only 24" long. Is there any point having a hole twice as deep as the sleeve? As it would mean the sleeve would just be sat at the top of the hole with 24" of concrete below it.

Taking that into account, would it not be better to make the hole just a bit deeper than the sleeve but make it wider (3 foot?) to give a heavier base?

Thanks.

FS-Keith

Thanks for the reply but as explained the sleeve that comes with the post is only 24" long. Is there any point having a hole twice as deep as the sleeve? As it would mean the sleeve would just be sat at the top of the hole with 24" of concrete below it.

Taking that into account, would it not be better to make the hole just a bit deeper than the sleeve but make it wider (3 foot?) to give a heavier base?

Thanks.

I would definitely recommend going deeper then 24" the deeper you go the more ground forces you have to hold against your footing. The more concrete the merrier