• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much ink does the LG-640 really use? - 1st large format printer purchase, need advice.

RONIN

Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a roll to roll UV printer. This is a huge investment for me to make and I don't want to get it wrong. I've been split between the Roland LG and Mimaki UCJV series of printers. I'm based in the UK and leaning more in the direction of the Roland as I've heard they're more reliable of the two as far as technical support and downtime. The reason I'm particularly interested in UV is for the embossed effects that can be done, as well as the white. I've seen some people mention that there's an insane amount of ink wastage with the LG machine but not sure if this has since been rectified or I may have misunderstood? - I saw someone say 200ml of ink is wasted per day!. I would be looking at printing 20 layers of clear to get the effect that I'm looking for with almost full coverage for the area. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me in estimating what the cost would be per m2 to achieve this and what the running costs of having this printer would realistically be.

Many thanks.