• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to become UL listed

bill426

How does a shop become UL listed is there more than 1 company that does this any feedback would be welcomed
Thanks

contact Underwriters, i have posted their contact info before if you can not find it pm me and i will dig it out. i have had xtensive discussions with them in the last 6 months and it is not nearly as intimidating of a process as it was 10 years ago imo...nor nearly the expense.

nwsigns

Start with being very patient as its a painful process in dealing with all the processes. Its designed for large companies but if you can afford it then you can make it work. You can just go to the UL website and ask for a quote and they will walk you through what your looking for since there are many different listings. Cost is about 3k to get started and $450 a quarter for inspections and some other fees. You will need to change the way you work if your not organized since everything needs to be documented and you need to use UL listed or recognized components depending on the sign.

I will say that the guy who walked me through the training and inspections has been flexible which was not what I expected.

There are also alternative such as MET which I understand to be cheaper but not sure how much.

Mark S. Adams

How does a shop become UL listed is there more than 1 company that does this any feedback would be welcomed
Thanks

I was quoted for "General Coverage" in October of 2010:
1) $3,000 USD cost to establish a file under the General Coverage program (includes Signs UL 48 Online Curriculum)
2) Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) - $1,171 USD annually
3) Approximately $450 USD for an Initial Production Inspection (IPI)
4) $450 USD per quarterly Follow Up Service (FUS) inspections
5) Plus nominal costs for the actual lables

If you got the bucks, you can request your own quote here:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/contactus/rfq/

Good luck!
Mark S. Adams

FS-Keith

contact Underwriters, i have posted their contact info before if you can not find it pm me and i will dig it out. i have had xtensive discussions with them in the last 6 months and it is not nearly as intimidating of a process as it was 10 years ago imo...nor nearly the expense.

i heard its just the opposite actually, nothing but new bs and fees

nwsigns

Depending on your jurisdiction it may be an overkill to get listed. We made and installed all sorts of internally lit signs with LEDs for years with no problem but had explain the code to a few city inspectors. Some cities want to see a UL label no matter what but the real reason we did it was that almost all the shopping centers and malls around here require it.

Zzyzx

UL Listing

We have had our UL for many years. There are two ways to get a UL Lable and or listing. Because of that there are two UL offices to choose from. The office that issues the perminate lable. There is another office that issues a one time lable. You can find them by doing a google search.
The perminate lable can be used any time that design is used.
The process perminate lable process takes about six months with many different tests.
There is another company that does third party testing called ETL. Their procedures are very similar to UL.
Keep in mind that all third party testers are private companys.

Probably a better choice is to find a company that will build the enclosures for you. UL has published a list of all of the UL listed or UL lables companies

Good Luck

Chuck

Screw UL, they've taken what it means to be listed FAR beyond what's required by OSHA. Go MET Labs, and save almost $1k a year. A lot of big companies are smartening up and starting to make the transition

http://www.metlabs.com/

Ask for Greg Smith (Project Engineer) 919-481-9319

CheapVehicleWrap

I guess consider yourselves lucky. I know the test was around 17k in the early 90's and if a single change was made the product had to be retested.

i heard its just the opposite actually, nothing but new bs and fees

I went through the process in the 90's through 2002. As I remember & others are posting th expense was FAR greater...& they always had some reason or another to bein my shop disturbing workflow,etc.

however I had a substantial natinal account that required UL cert.

I have met with & had many discussions with UL in the last 6mnths or so & I was surprised at how affordable it was in comparrison to what I remembered...in addition they were very accomodating & reasonable.

are there other options? Sure. But as of now in my opinion they are the most recognized by people OUTSIDE of our trade,& that is where the value is for me & my clients (sign shops) . MET is becoming more recognized but it is always difficult to gain the same recognition,acceptability etc as the 1st company in any industry...coke vs pepsi etc.

some prefer coke some pepsi but pepsi will always take second seat in brand recognition.

FS-Keith

I went through the process in the 90's through 2002. As I remember & others are posting th expense was FAR greater...& they always had some reason or another to bein my shop disturbing workflow,etc.

I have met with & had many discussions with UL in the last 6mnths or so & I was surprised at how affordable it was in comparrison to what I remembered...in addition they were very accomodating & reasonable.

are there other options? Sure. But as of now in my opinion they are the most recognized by people OUTSIDE of our trade,& that is where the value is for me & my clients (sign shops) . MET is becoming more recognized but it is always difficult to gain the same recognition,acceptability etc as the 1st company in any industry...coke vs pepsi etc.

some prefer coke some pepsi but pepsi will always take second seat in brand recognition.

Nice to hear something positive about them thanks

You're probably the first person I've ever heard that speaks highly of UL, in a matter of fact people have been waiting for other options.

I too have been with UL in the 90's and 2000's, and it's gotten worse not better, it's gotten more expensive and not inexpensive. What has gotten better and what's gotten inexpensive about the the process and maintaining an account?

Also, who requested UL? I'm guessing it has to be out of ignorance which is the same that comes from a city building inspector or planner, or using it as a generic term sort of like the old "I'd like a Xerox copy", over "I'd like a Photo copy".

The fact of the matter is U.L. is more expensive because they are buying all these green energy testing labs and passing on the costs to us, they're trying real hard to come up with mythical standards to test mythical green products. Smart, in a way to profit, to test BS, but it's using BS to test BS.

It's more expensive in direct cost, it's more expensive in time one has to spend to do there paper work FOR them.

All our clients care is that the sign we build for them is legal, it doesn't matter if it's U.L. ETL, or MET.

If anyone every has a problem using the new boy on the block (MET LABS) by a city official, you just simply drop a dime and call MET, and they'll take it over form there and edumicate the city official on what's required and what's legal.

There's a good competitor now, those of us should be supporting the competition, if not, there will be no competition. And we all know what prices are like in street corners where there's only one gas station.

acothran

We are not UL listed but within our city code, we can assemble a sign as long as the components are. For instance, we can use Gemini channel letters, install UL listed transformer and LEDs, provide all UL numbers on the permit and it is within code in our city. You just need to check your jurisdiction. Becoming UL listed may be overkill for your needs.

Allen

We are not UL listed but within our city code, we can assemble a sign as long as the components are. For instance, we can use Gemini channel letters, install UL listed transformer and LEDs, provide all UL numbers on the permit and it is within code in our city. You just need to check your jurisdiction. Becoming UL listed may be overkill for your needs.

Allen

Yes, you are correct. This is what we need to revert back to, but our city building departments have gotten laxed with inspections and they want to rely on just coming by to observe a simple sticker and sign off.

Less regulation the better. My city of San Diego use to be the same way and was the last local city to require listed signs but they do an awesome job of inspecting.

Personally, I'd rather do with the listed individual components and do away with listing subscriptions of shops

Mark S. Adams

There's a good competitor now, those of us should be supporting the competition, if not, there will be no competition. And we all know what prices are like in street corners where there's only one gas station.

I for one will be SURE to check into MET, now that I'm aware of them.

ETL (Intertek) does not have a "General Sign Coverage" for custom signs - they only certify components.

Mark S. Adams

JOE1

Hispana Signs New York
I am really in need of having TWO signs with the UL Sticker. We barely get requests with that in our area (north of NYC).
I was requested by a customer recently, and it was not the government but the manager of a plaza. I don't know what to do because we can't afford the UL Certification costs, as I was looking for a quote to get our shop certified. If someone can help, please let me know, I will really appreciate it.