• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to calculate speed of oscillating blade cutting foamboard?

tedbragg

Is there a formula for calculating how fast to move a oscillating blade when cutting different materials? I do a lot of .25" foamboard. Most of the time I set it to 60 ipm. Sometimes 75ipm. Cut looks the same, but I don't like to press my luck.

A preset I found in Optiscout had the blade going at 150 (!!!) Kida gunshy with cutting foamboard, as it'll pill and gum up in the worst places. What's the consensus?

Superior_Adam

every material, different knife blades etc will be different settings. Go as fast as you can without damage to the material. If you can successfully run at 150 do it.

MGB_LE

Is there a formula for calculating how fast to move a oscillating blade when cutting different materials? I do a lot of .25" foamboard. Most of the time I set it to 60 ipm. Sometimes 75ipm. Cut looks the same, but I don't like to press my luck.

A preset I found in Optiscout had the blade going at 150 (!!!) Kida gunshy with cutting foamboard, as it'll pill and gum up in the worst places. What's the consensus?
What does the cutter manufacturer say? Colex provides a cutting speed/feed chart by material. It gives us at least a guideline.