• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Change Print Head on sp540v

Prism1

Did a print test from the service menu, and the Cyan is not printing. Dealer says I need a new print head. Can I change this myself? I am very mechanically inclined...Dealer says they need to do it??

GTSTech_1

Did your dealer trouble shoot the problem? If not I would check the cyan cart(sometimes the cart tab fails). If there is ink in the line, then would pull ink from cap tube. Check for clogged damper, replace if u can see debris on the screen. Make sure the ribbon cable has good contacts, your capping station has a good seat. After checking, and fixing any of the above items, you still get print failure, then perhaps the head has died.

My $.02

Joey Alonso
GTSTech_1

GTSTech_1

To answer your question.....Replacing a printhead is not that hard. Should take your about 2 hours (replace head and alignment adjustments).
Making the nesseccary adjustments can be troublesome without experience.

My $.02

Joey Alonso
GTSTech_1

Roland Tech

Without looking at it I would guess that all you need is a new cap top or a new damper on the head. Both parts cost around $40. Print heads cost $645. Do the math and start with the easiest solution first, as GTSTech suggested. It might be something as simple as being out of ink. Good luck.

Prism1

Thank you for the Replies. I have changed the capping station, new wipers, new pump. I am on Bulk Traingle inks. Have not changed a damper...

Did the "Fill" print test from the Service menu. Blk, Magenta, and yellow all solid. The Cyan was full of banding, and the Black has "Overspray" around it.

Sabre

I would definitely change the dampers. When we had our head replacement scare on out 540V it just turned out to be 2 dampers gone. Did the service myself in a short afternoon after we got the parts in, not much to it.

Prism1

Here is a couple of pics of the problems. Test print and what the "Crop Mark" looks like next to the print. Crop mark looks like a spider web.

Attachments

• test print.jpg
    test print.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 317
  • cropmark3.jpg
    cropmark3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 279
  • banding1.jpg
    banding1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 260

Prism1

Ok...changed the Dampers on the blk & blue ( only had 2 ), and the blue damper was all ballooned out. Banding is gone, but still have fuzzy crop marks. I have been having encoder problems, and have cleaned it 3-4 times, so I think I will get a new encoder, and give it a try.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

jester2kx

I have delt with overspray a few times and replacing the ink heads fixed it. In the year that we have had out SC545EX, we have had to replace ALL the heads. I watched the tech do the first 5....then when cyan went last month, i did it myself. If you do end up doing it yourself.....please be carefull with how tight you put the screws for the ink head in. They are really easy to strip the heads off. You have to find a happy medium.

Good Luck!