• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions how to cut 50 pieces of vinyl effectively

bigben

I have a 48in wide roll to textured frosted vinyl that need to be cut in piece of 48inX24in. I can't slit the roll because the pattern of the material is on the length of the roll. I don't have access to a machine like a fotoba and I think the texture is to roughs and thick to be cut with my vinyl cutter (I have a summa D160r). So I assume my only way would be by hand but I would like to find a technique speed up the process like a gig or something similar.

Thanks for your suggestions.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We used to have a jig set up in which we had some old conveyor rollers squared up to a straight edge. Everything was mounted to a table so it wouldn't move. There was still a manual cut, but it made the whole process easier.

I with I had some photos, but couldn't find any.

Rollers like this mounted about 3 inches apart made it easy to put a roll on and start cutting it. This eliminated the need to put a rod through the core and the extra time that took.

Mr.Signboy

I have a 48in wide roll to textured frosted vinyl that need to be cut in piece of 48inX24in. I can't slit the roll because the pattern of the material is on the length of the roll. I don't have access to a machine like a fotoba and I think the texture is to roughs and thick to be cut with my vinyl cutter (I have a summa D160r). So I assume my only way would be by hand but I would like to find a technique speed up the process like a gig or something similar.

Thanks for your suggestions.
You should try it on the Summa, you’d be surprised what they can handle. In the past I’ve cut .03” styrene and sand blast mask on mine before we got a flatbed cutter. Just make sure you have enough blade showing and play with the settings until it works. It might not, I don’t know exactly what material you’re using but you’re only out a blade if it doesn’t.