• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut a circle on vinyl 50" in diameter

ljwhyte

So ive been asked to print off a logo on floor vinyl and they want it circular, what is the best way to cut a large circle? searched all over google can only find a cutter for a circle with 40" diameter. tia

JBurton

Signtologist
So is the problem the plotter size or material size. In the past I've taped two pieces of vinyl together and fed them into the plotter, and with slow enough speed you can make the cut. If your cutter is too narrow then you'll have to cut it in halves.

ljwhyte

So is the problem the plotter size or material size. In the past I've taped two pieces of vinyl together and fed them into the plotter, and with slow enough speed you can make the cut. If your cutter is too narrow then you'll have to cut it in halves.
It’s the size of the circle bring 54” that’s been printed on my HP latex and the customer wants it one piece so wondering if there’s some sort of manual tool to use to help cut a circle

ikarasu

Are you having issues getting it to cut 50" because the printing software won't print 50" with cut marks ?

If so... On our graphtec we can tell it where the marks are. You print it at the end and offset in the middle and it'll use those and you can print your circle 53" if you want to.

All depends on what equipment you have.... Otherwise print it and use some scissors ... No other way really. It's machine or scissors

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
ok, so if the puzzle is how to contour cut without the machine.... what Johnny said, but I'm picturing a pushpin and some rigid string tied to an exacto knife. Or - if you're really good with your hands - just print a very fine light gray circle and free style cut by hand - this way you don't have a push pin hole in the center of the graphic.

JBurton

Signtologist
ok, so if the puzzle is how to contour cut without the machine.... what Johnny said, but I'm picturing a pushpin and some rigid string tied to an exacto knife. Or - if you're really good with your hands - just print a very fine light gray circle and free style cut by hand - this way you don't have a push pin hole in the center of the graphic.
I'd be happier with a lazy susan/ record player setup, but then you have to square the circle dead center and find a way to hold it flat.

But my friend, are you trying to make a circle, printed, with no plotter that can read registration marks? If at all possible, can you trim it close, and apply it, then trim to size? Or do you have an item the diameter you can use as a template to trace? Unfortunately most solutions you'll find here are limited to help using a plotter, less about the finer craftsmanship required to cut a perfect circle. Those two would be my go to for free handing a near perfect circle. If close counts, then hand cut a .25" outline around it and be happy.

ProSignTN

Use a wooden yard stick. apply several layers of masking tape in the very center of your vinyl. At the 1" mark on the ruler put a pushpin thru it and into the layered masking tape, then cut a small notch at the 26" mark on the yardstick. Place an exacto in the notch and rotate the yardstick around in a circle.

Boudica

I'd be happier with a lazy susan/ record player setup, but then you have to square the circle dead center and find a way to hold it flat.

But my friend, are you trying to make a circle, printed, with no plotter that can read registration marks? If at all possible, can you trim it close, and apply it, then trim to size? Or do you have an item the diameter you can use as a template to trace? Unfortunately most solutions you'll find here are limited to help using a plotter, less about the finer craftsmanship required to cut a perfect circle. Those two would be my go to for free handing a near perfect circle. If close counts, then hand cut a .25" outline around it and be happy.
I really like the turn table idea... but that's brining the machine back into the fold. And why are you now a killer whale eating penguins?! First nota is an elephant seal eating a penguin, then Johnny sketching penguins in a naughty position, now this. my penguin love is backfiring. dammit.
Right now I will blame the USPS. why? because they SUCK! and I have just begun to fight.
oh, sorry for that. Boudica is riled up. pay no attention.

JBurton

Signtologist
Use a wooden yard stick. apply several layers of masking tape in the very center of your vinyl. At the 1" mark on the ruler put a pushpin thru it and into the layered masking tape, then cut a small notch at the 26" mark on the yardstick. Place an exacto in the notch and rotate the yardstick around in a circle.
You're selling me more with the layers of masking tape, but how to find center still, other than a great approximation?
Free hand is still my 'no masheens' vote.

Boudica

You're selling me more with the layers of masking tape, but how to find center still, other than a great approximation?
Free hand is still my 'no masheens' vote.
....revisiting the print the fine light circle/outline plan. If the OP is using onyx, I understand the conundrum with the registration marks. So, just print, Measure from edge to edge of that fine circle to find the center.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
So ive been asked to print off a logo on floor vinyl and they want it circular, what is the best way to cut a large circle? searched all over google can only find a cutter for a circle with 40" diameter. tia

It’s the size of the circle bring 54” that’s been printed on my HP latex and the customer wants it one piece so wondering if there’s some sort of manual tool to use to help cut a circle
I'm confused, title reads "How to cut a circle on vinyl 50" in diameter" but the quotes above contradict. 50", 40" or 54"?
What size roll is your plotter capable of running?

Fechin

Why not make a guide?
Take a piece of pvc/ poly/ whatever. Do the radial method on that or print and apply a guide to and make a half or quarter circle that you can use as a curved edge to pencil or cut by. Kinda like a big protractor.

MikePro

overthinking this. print it in one-piece with a black outline. ....and then use a scissors or steady-handed xacto to cut it.
sign guys used to freehand everything, but you have the benefit of printing your target cutline so use it.

if you NEED a jig, cause you simply cannot do it by-hand, then just make a dibond template for a ~24" section of the perimeter and use it as your guide around the circle as you go.

Attachments

• circlejig.jpg
    circlejig.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: