• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to get plotter to decals

keith nicastro

Hello
I'm new to the vinyl world.i want to make football helmet decals I have a Gerber edge and hshs15 plotter with omega 4.0 software.i have everything up and running but now I'm stuck as to how to cut different sizes and shapes for the logos . Everything printed and cut so far comes out in a square. Looking forward to see you guys expertise thanks so much
Nick Nitro Sports

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm a tad confused. Can you show a pic of what your wanting it to look like, and a pic of what it's coming out as?

I mean, to me it sounds like you need to vectorize your artwork.

mjames

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I'm new to the vinyl world.i want to make football helmet decals I have a Gerber edge and hshs15 plotter with omega 4.0 software.i have everything up and running but now I'm stuck as to how to cut different sizes and shapes for the logos . Everything printed and cut so far comes out in a square. Looking forward to see you guys expertise thanks so much
Nick Nitro Sports
If your artwork is not vector you must create a vector cut line.

keith nicastro

Hi Texas
Sorry but I have very little knowledge of the software so I'll try to explain
Just say the Houston Texans logo I can print the colors and send it to the cutter but the cutter does not cut the shape just the background square I'm sure I'm selecting the wrong toolbar

TimToad

Hi Texas
Sorry but I have very little knowledge of the software so I'll try to explain
Just say the Houston Texans logo I can print the colors and send it to the cutter but the cutter does not cut the shape just the background square I'm sure I'm selecting the wrong toolbar

You need to create a separate cutline layer or file for the plotter to know where to cut. The Edge typically converts your art to a raster image even if it started as a vector. When you take your printed decals to the plotter, there isn't a cutline for the plotter to recognize. I do two separate files, an art file and a cutline file with some registration marks on it in case our optical mark recognition doesn't get picked up and we have to set the starting point manually.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Run it through vector magic or get the logo from brandsoftheworld.com

Just been on the lookout for Joe Webb, he shows up to people's houses who rip off their brand...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With your image open and selected in Omega Composer:

1. Determine if your file is a bitmap image or a vector by turning the preview on and off. This is done by pressing the F8 function key. If you always see a complete image, it is a bitmap. If you alternately see an outline and then a filled, complete image, then it is a vector.

2. Assuming that you have just a bitmap image, you will need to create the vector cut path for the plotter to follow once you have printed it. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Select the image.
b. Click on Tools > Generate Decal Cut.
c. When the dialog opens click on the OK button.
d. You should now be able to see the cut path by turning the preview on and off.
e. Send the entire job to GSPPlot. You will now be able to print on your Edge, transfer the vinyl to your plotter once printed, line up the target with the plotter bombsite, and send the job to the plotter to cut.

Russell J. Bean

For omega. You can just use the offset tool. And make that as a cutline. You have to press (7) you’ll see the image either green or black on the wireframe screen (F8) If it’s red it’s not a cut line. The square that’s being cut is not from the image it’s from the border page in output. Hit F5 on the output screen and turn border off.

keith nicastro

with some trial to my understanding i was using a bitmap image in the first place
took texas's advice and just grabbed a logo to try using a vector image which is most likely what i should be using
output the job to print and cut this is what my output looks like (Imgur) realizing that the blue line is what is being cut
and is just a border after turning the border off i have (Imgur)
MJutmlN.jpg
but once i turn off the border there is no cut line and it
removes the option to cut the image what i would like to do is create a cut line around the image ex: (Imgur)
vHySLlH.jpg

how do i go about making the cut line just slightly larger than whatever image i am using

sorry for long links how do you link an image here

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm not sure about Gerber...but in Flexi l add an outline to the object or a "contour cut" and make it larger then the object

Russell J. Bean

Yeah it’s the same thing in gerber. Go to tools outline. Or just press alt+1 then you’ll see the options for the size. Hit ok. Press 7 to make it a cutline. It will be Green if you press F8.( wire frame on the composer screen) When you print, on the output screen. Press - This will show you a wireframe. If the line is Black it’s a cut. If it’s red it’s a print.