• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to make 4X8 backlit table

bigben

Hi group,

I would like to built a 4ftX8ft light table that I will use as a work table/cut table. First, I've wanted to just put a glass over my current work table, but then I taught it would be great to have it backlit.

I was thinking to use the new 3M led mat then just put the glass over it. What do you think?

And about the glass, do I need a special glass or just a regular stuff?

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

Ben

Ursta Graphics

I built a 4x8 glass table that i just hang 6' fluorescent ballasts under to light. Works great.
The other 4x8 side I used translucent polypropylene on for my taping / cutting.

Ursta Graphics

I believe the glass i bought is tempered. I did have one blow up on me a few years back, as I was leaning on one of the 2x4's that make the frame it snapped. The mess was terrible but the glass was not sharp. The other option would be to use poly sheeting in 1/2" I ordered mine from mcmaster carr. Then run center supports through the middle of the 4x8 for added support.

MikePro

the self-healing cutting mats are translucent.
we built our 5' x 16' table with a 4'x8' lightbox in the center, flourescant tubes with lexan cover, and cutting mats laid on top.

just keep in mind that the cutting mats warp when heated, but uncurl back to shape when they cool. so don't bother adhering them to the table. just use the light for short periods of time when needed.

bigben

The reason why I want to use glass is because I also want to use the table as a conference table. I want to built something nice.

I have my design in my mind, but I only need to get some info on the glass and the led backlit part.

Thanks.

Pat Whatley

The 3M mats require at least 3" of separation between the mat and the face. As long as you've got to build it up anyway fluorescent lights are cheap and easy to do.

Salmoneye

Welded Steel frame, build reflective box under it, fluorescent lights, flood coat bottom side of glass with translucent white vinyl, use thick glass. Conference table, light table and cutting table, why would you cut on anything besides a thick piece of glass anyways? My 4x8 is 3/4" thick but that is overkill.