• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to match up a design across sign boards?

I have a sign that will be 4' H x 16' W. Because of the size I'll be using two 4' x 8' ACM panels, and applying vinyl over the top. Part of the design will be split in two where the sign butts up. What application technique do you guys use to make sure the design will match up once the boards are install in their final location?

Signstein

Others may chime in with better tricks, but I've always just allowed myself a little extra bleed whenever I need to line up panels. So when you print your left panel just allow a little extra bleed from the right panel and vice versa.
Just gives you a little more wiggle room.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Yes, add bleed like Signstein said to make it simple. I usually run bleed all the way around all panels. Always better to have more than you need than not enough.
All my tables are on wheels for stuff like this. When you get one board laid, you butt the other against it with the boards aligned, clamp them down to the tables if you need to till you get the 2nd panel started (I use long super rulers with clamp on each end, holds everything firm, leaves no marks). Align the graphic on board 2, hinge within a couple feet to keep it aligned easier, lay the end you're matching first, peel liner and do the rest. When you're done, trim the excess. I just did a 4 panel 6mm ACM 8h x 16w for a campground like this. Did the two center first, then the outer ones. Crazy easy doing it on the 4' end instead of the 8':thumb:

JBurton

Signtologist
Personally, no bleed on the seamed side (or at least have a clear, delineated mark for the seamed edge), and always measure both sides from the bottom, then flush the sides making up the seam. One seam won't be too bad, more than that and you can get in trouble. I also like to break the seams in the most convineint areas, even if that means I'll have a 7' and 9' panel instead of 2 8' panels, but this isn't always an option.
When you get one board laid, you butt the other against it with the boards aligned
Really? I used to make the biggest deal out of seams, worrying with aligning the previous panel to the next, but found that just sticking to measurements would provide the most consistent results.
(I use long super rulers with clamp on each end, holds everything firm, leaves no marks)
Oh, you'll like this. I use a 3" core, with 3" aluminum tube nestled inside. The aluminum gives it more rigidity, so when I put a squeeze clamp inside, it doesn't deform to round tube or buckle across the length of the tube. The cardboard makes it that much more forgiving when laying it on panels solo. clamp it down, flip the print over it, slit the backing and go to town.

Pastie

Newb
We do many custom ACM signs a week. We do 1/2 inch symmetrical bleed. Put crop marks where we cut the files in InDesign to specific sizes. Always under 84 inch wide(saves on freight)

Align the crop marks to pre cut to custom size ACM. You then mount with application table trim excess.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Oh, you'll like this. I use a 3" core, with 3" aluminum tube nestled inside. The aluminum gives it more rigidity, so when I put a squeeze clamp inside, it doesn't deform to round tube or buckle across the length of the tube. The cardboard makes it that much more forgiving when laying it on panels solo. clamp it down, flip the print over it, slit the backing and go to town.
I've been doing it the way I have for so many years that I never questioned it... You just proved you can teach an old dog new tricks. Gotta try that on the next one :thumb: