• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to NOT install posts

Malkin

Had a job to remove, resurface and reinstall a sign. The sign was about 4' x 5' including some custom scroll brackets. The posts were 8" x 8" with about 10 ft exposed above ground, NOT pressure treated or painted, but looked solid. While hoisting the sign into place my co-worked placed her knee against the post for support. The post cracked at the bottom and began to fall. This caused her to lose her balance and jumped off the ladder (from about 5 ft) into a bush and broke her foot. Good thing workers comp was paid up. :omg:

We revisited the site to install new posts (6" x 6" x 14ft PT). I discovered that the old posts were only about 24" - 30" in the ground (no concrete, or crushed rock) and had been wrapped with Ice & Water Shield! This is a thick rubbery film that is used along the edges of roofs, under the shingles, to help prevent ice dams & leaks, up here in the colder climates. Someone obviously thought this would keep the moisture out and help the posts last longer. It had the opposite effect and kept all moisture in, prematurely rotting the base of the post.
:frustrated:

This was the first time we have sustained a serious injury in many many years, and it was due to someone else's disregard for common sense.

To add insult to injury, a misunderstanding with a sub-contractor took all the profit out of the job. The only silver lining was that the scroll work on the sign protected it from injury when it fell.

Craig Sjoquist

Ouch sad way to find out something that should have been checked for... real solidity of structure.

Learned that from a fall off a ladder when buildings eves broke.

good healing thoughts ...safety first

buttons

Wouldn't the wind against a 4'x5' sign knocked it over? ..... not saying you're lying but if someone simply leaning their knee on it knocked it over I can't see how the wind wouldn't have already blown it down.