• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to repair damaged pan faces by heat gun.?

tebond

New help, put too much heat on pan faces while removing vinyl lettering. Faces now have big knots and waves. Is there a way to fix this without spending $1400.00 on new faces?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're either gonna hafta eat it, or make a customer very angry. How could you over heat it to the point of melting it ?? Didn't you see it happening while doing it ?? Are these in your shop or up on the cabinet ??

Kottwitz-Graphics

This is why I always recommend a wallpaper steamer. It will not hurt the surface that the vinyl is on...

Lesson learned, at a rather high cost, I'm afraid. Now, like Gino said, did you not see it happening at the time? Did you do it yourself, or was it an employee? If it was an employee, that would call for a meeting with all employees, and then explain about lost profits, and this will affect any raises/bonuses for the duration....

Mainframe

As a last resort, I would try a belt sander with a fine surface, (or just blocks of wood with fine sand paper on it) I would put 2 x 6 boards under to have something solid under it, I would go slow, a couple things come into play, 1. Are you putting a print over the bad parts or cut vinyl, seems to me a print would be better, (covers more), also 2. How high up is it going? In this case height is your friend, especially if you are the installer.

Billct2

Yep, how bad is it? Would a full cover print hide the damage? And the higher it is the better. But you may just have to replace.

tebond

You're either gonna hafta eat it, or make a customer very angry. How could you over heat it to the point of melting it ?? Didn't you see it happening while doing it ?? Are these in your shop or up on the cabinet ??

Did it in shop while I was out. Told him half temp and just warm a little. I got back and he had it set on high and damage already done. He figured the heat wouldn’t hurt the acrylic and was just getting it really hot thinking the vinyl would come off easier and faster. New helper didn’t listen to me and thought he knew better.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
New helper would be helping someone else. Boss says one thing and he already thinks he knows a better way?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's a toughie. When someone doesn't listen, it's easy to scold them, but ultimately, it's still your responsibility. Can you post up a picture or two so we can see the extent of damage ?? I don't think I'd take a belt sander or anything else agressive like that, but this is gonna be your job to replace the two faces and perhaps, teach a new employee the value of listening.

Johnny Best

I would not sand either. Would try to put something flat underneath and heat back up and take another flat piece and press down to try and get the bulge or wrinkle out. Worth a try anyway. That is an expensive mistake.

Last edited:

equippaint

I would not sand either. Would try to put something flat underneath and head back up and take another flat piece and press down to try and get the bulge or wrinkle out. Worth a try anyway. That is an expensive mistake.
I was thinking to do the same, maybe with a sheet of mdf or particle board, straight and heavy. Put one under it, heat it all and sandwich it with a second piece.

Bly

I think it's screwed unless you can heat the whole face and mould it flat.
Sounds like another expensive lesson: don't let inexperienced staff work on expensive products without supervision.

HandsomeBob

Our policy: If we are reusing clients materials they assume the risk of loss if the material is damaged or destroyed. We are trying to same them some money but if things go wrong they have to buy new materials.

Acrylic gets brittle over time when exposed to the sun. Imported acrylic seems to get brittle sooner.