• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to trim the edge border from roll to roll

aaronchan

Dear all,

I wasn't in this industry before but was a doing fine art printing.
Now I've start a digital sign printing company and there is a question I've just hit onto.

So I'm looking to purchase a eco-solvant printer, 64 inch let's say.
And I know they don't print borderless.
So what if I need to do foamboard backdrop, printing with overlap and tiling, and there will be white edges on both sides on the printed media.
How do I trim both sides off when I am printing roll to roll?

I went online and saw Fotoba XY cutter which will do what I'm talking about, but I think that's a way too pricy for my starting business.
Is there any let's say chinese made machine that only do vertical cutting from roll to roll?

Thanks
Aaron

aaronchan

Flat even Cutting table, razor knife like an olfa snap off, long ruler with non-slip on bottom such as the ones from image impact.

This is what I'm doing right now but I think this very non efficient at all.
If fotoba is making a machine like this I bet there must be some cheaper solution or a clone (sorry to say that) on the market some where.
It's just I have no idea what's the proper terms I should search on google

Aaron

scott pagan

our Orca III laminator has cut/slit feature that trims as you laminate. it looks like a round fabric knife with a spring hinge that sits along one of the tension rollers. once the media is webbed into the laminator, you lock cutter in place, adjust spring tension if needed, and as the media runs through it cuts off unwanted edges. i have found you have to be diligent in keeping media straight so it does not walk and cut parallelograms. i also plan for extra print bleed and not to have critical print info at edges.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
http://www.keencut.com/uk/sabre-series2.aspx

Get a cutter like this and put it on a table behind your laminator and parallel to it. As your prints come out of the laminator you can cut them to length. After all the prints have been through the laminator you can now use the same table to trim them to width. Get the biggest one you have room for and can afford. You won't regret it. The one we have has the standard mat knives and it will cut prints, coro, foamcore, and pvc with multiple cuts.