• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How was this done

Locals Find!

I was on Steve C.'s website looking for a few fonts to purchase for an upcoming project. I was showing my client the font I would like to use for his new sign I am attempting to design and he really liked the background used on this image on Steve's site and the font. (See attached pic from his site)

Can someone tell me how to make the american flag background like that in either photoshop (I have CS2) or Illustrator (also CS2)

Attachments

• old glory_flagpanel.jpg
    old glory_flagpanel.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 101

Justin

You could just change the opacity level. I'm sure that flag picture is available somewhere on the net, and then change the opacity, and done :D

Locals Find!

:goodpost:

Yep, what Doug said, or just get CS 5.5 and use the NEW waving flag filter!

Or you could just hire a real designer to create it for you.

:rock-n-roll:

Yeah, I could hire a designer to do that. Yet, how would I learn by doing that? If I ever hope to improve its going to mean making some lousy designs on the way till I start making decent ones. I would rather make lousy designs and toss them and improve myself than to give up before ever starting and remain where I am at.

royster13

Learning is a wonderful thing......Today I got a file from a client that had all kinds of effects in it....Before I knew it, I had played with the file for 6 hours trying dissect how it was built.....

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
flag background on a seperate layer from the actual background, change opacity of flag layer to 25%, actual background -> fill -> 100% black .... done. add border, add text, text -> layer effects -> drop shadow, gradient fill & outline.

yup. come on addie, that is 5 minutes in photoshop ... probably take you longer to hunt down an appropriate border element.

aandrews19

Google Search > Photoshop Background Tutorial

I'm not trying to be a smart ***...

I started teaching myself photoshop about 5 years ago. Illustrator, about 1 year ago. I'm still no expert, but I have the fundamentals down. Simply by searching for tutorials online. There are also plenty of instructional books available for both programs. Hit up Amazon, or head to a Barnes and Nobles and search their computer software section.

Bottom line, don't wait until you have a customer that needs something. Practice and learn how to use your tools every second you have, and soon enough you'll be able to contribute to this board in other ways than just asking how to do this and how to that.

I myself still have A LOT to learn in many areas, but I learn by constantly reading on here, and other areas. For me, haivng to start a new thread asking how to do something is a LAST RESORT. I try to browse all areas of this board to build my own knowledge, to prevent myself from getting in over my head on any new project.