• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 10000 Ink Usage - 720 4-5 times 360?

azprinter

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the message board so if I miss anything here just let me know and I will try to clarify.

My owner has recently had me do some basic ink usage calculations for the HP 10000. My procedure has been as follows:

I have multiple 12x12 inch images (approx. 150-200% ink coverage - what I considered "average" images). I have been ripping thru various media profiles and resolutions and using onyx (Productionhouse 7.3.2) for the ink calculations. Nothing gets to the printer and the printer is set up for software override where the rip should be taking priority over the printer settings (quality/pass settings, etc.).

All the profiles I have been using were downloaded from the onyx profile library (to the best of my knowledge - I did not set this particular rip up).

All profiles are either 4 pass/720 DPI or 4 pass/360 DPI for comparison. All diffusion is stochastic. The 720 DPI profiles are consistently using between 4 and 5 times as much ink as the 360 DPI. Does this sound right?

For quality I will likely need to print at 720; We are trying to be competitive on a large job and this significantly higher ink usage prices us right out of it (and frankly makes the 10000 very expensive to run at 720).

I was hoping for some insight, oversight on my part or any info that might explain why I am seeing this significantly higher ink usage thru the 720 profiles.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Dan

azprinter

I understand that - I also understand my ink usage calculations are very rudimentary. However, current rough calculations have ink usage thru 720 profiles at about $1.30 SQFT; 360 profiles at about .30 SQFT.

In comparison, the z6100 (Yes, I know, apples and oranges) has an estimated ink cost of around .40 SQFT (600x1200).

Solvent printers are sold as being less expensive inks (true at per ML cost) than inkjet, but $1.30 SQFT ink cost to print solvent prints is simply not competitive for us.