• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 Service??

tylercrum

I'm curious what other L25500 owners are doing for service after your 1 year warranty is expired?
I've had mine for 2 1/2 years (or so) now and it's been out of warranty obviously for close to a year and half. Haven't really had any major issues that I couldn't fix. About a year ago the tip on the waste ink line hardened up and the waste ink backed up into the printer which caused all kinds of good fun, but I bought the parts from HP and with a little help from the service manual I got it all fixed.
I'm currently waiting on a tech from a local HP authorized fixer person to come out and fix my machine now. The take-up reel suddenly stopped working yesterday and a split second later something in the back of the machine popped. Not really loud, just a little pop and it started throwing an error. I replaced the first board, nothing. So, realizing I could spend all week doing that I just called someone and they're supposedly on their way with their magic and parts and such and hopefully I'll be back up and running this afternoon. But I'm sure it's going to cost me a fortune.
Has anyone gone back and purchased an extended warranty for their printer? Is it worth it?
I'm also weighing the option of just picking up another printer to use as backup/parts machine but that still leaves me with having to call someone out or do the "buy a part and hope" when something goes wrong, but at least I could still be printing...
thought?