• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L26500 printer belt change

tearaway22

Hi everyone. Our belt on our HP L26500 printer began fraying so we halted printing. We have ordered and received a new belt but was wondering if anyone was able to guide us through how to install the new belt ourselves in the easiest way please? Many thanks.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You have to remove the right cover. Take out the encoder and belt tensioner. Remove the right plate. Move the carriage all the way out of the beam so you can access behind it. Redo everything.
Maybe I get something wrong, its like this in 300 but similar on yours.

tearaway22

You have to remove the right cover. Take out the encoder and belt tensioner. Remove the right plate. Move the carriage all the way out of the beam so you can access behind it. Redo everything.
Maybe I get something wrong, its like this in 300 but similar on yours.
Thank you for your reply.

Maybe I get something wrong, its like this in 300 but similar on yours
Hi everyone. Our belt on our HP L26500 printer began fraying so we halted printing. We have ordered and received a new belt but was wondering if anyone was able to guide us through how to install the new belt ourselves in the easiest way please? Many thanks.
Remove left cover also. Remove the encoder strip. Use this time to clean the encoder strip with alcohol. Clean the rails as well. You can use alcohol or something stronger. Do not forget to clean upper rail. Will be good idea to have around second man to push the encoder bolt when you remove the small encoder screw and when redo the encoder strip.
Be careful when removing and inserting the encoder into the carriage. If the encoder has come off on the right side, use tape to thread the strip into the carriage.
Install the belt exactly as the old belt was installed. It is in two parts and can be reversed.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I've done it 3 times on the 260.
Google the service manual. It's a 680 page download. It's very good.
Finding all the screws you need to undo to get the right end off is a challenge the first time- there are only about 7, but 1 or 2 are inside the front window.
Carefully remove the display console as you jiggle the end off, so you don;t break the display.
Best to take the left end off too- so the encoder strip doesn;t spring out and dent itself and you'll be up for a new encoder AND ALSO encoder strip too, then.

Get someone to help - the encoder strip is under hefty tension and it's way more delicate than you realise. It's too easy to jigger it in your first attempt to do it by yourself.
Reread the chapter in the manual. Print it out.

Remove the head carriage right out, turn it over, and fit the new belt the way the old one was - there are only 2 ways it can go, and one of them is the wrong way.
Threading the encoder strip back through can be a bit of a test at first. Dont dent it.
Vacuum all the dust out, and oil the rails.
Reassemble, and be extra careful with that encoder strip.
Double check you've not sliced your fingers on the encoder strip- blood mucks up the count- and be extra careful it went back in without any kinks or slips or springing out & splitting the ends. (you can reglue them with Loctite 406 )

The belt is the easy bit - the encoder will sneakily haunt you without prior warning.

The EASIEST way, is to get someone else to do it... in answer to your main question.
The encoder strip is precious and waiting like a rat trap, to zap you and request its renewal as well.

Last edited:

tearaway22

I've done it 3 times on the 260.
Google the service manual. It's a 680 page download. It's very good.
Finding all the screws you need to undo to get the right end off is a challenge the first time- there are only about 7, but 1 or 2 are inside the front window.
Carefully remove the display console as you jiggle the end off, so you don;t break the display.
Best to take the left end off too- so the encoder strip doesn;t spring out and dent itself and you'll be up for a new encoder AND ALSO encoder strip too, then.

Get someone to help - the encoder strip is under hefty tension and it's way more delicate than you realise. It's too easy to jigger it in your first attempt to do it by yourself.
Reread the chapter in the manual. Print it out.

Remove the head carriage right out, turn it over, and fit the new belt the way the old one was - there are only 2 ways it can go, and one of them is the wrong way.
Threading the encoder strip back through can be a bit of a test at first. Dont dent it.
Vacuum all the dust out, and oil the rails.
Reassemble, and be extra careful with that encoder strip.
Double check you've not sliced your fingers on the encoder strip- blood mucks up the count- and be extra careful it went back in without any kinks or slips or springing out & splitting the ends. (you can reglue them with Loctite 406 )

The belt is the easy bit - the encoder will sneakily haunt you without prior warning.

The EASIEST way, is to get someone else to do it... in answer to your main question.
The encoder strip is precious and waiting like a rat trap, to zap you and request its renewal as well.
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply. This was really useful to get your advice. We have downloaded the manual already so have this to hand and will go through it step by step. The tips you have given will definitely come in handy.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
No worries - but treat the encoder strip like a valuable jewel made of fragile glass, and worth more than the belt you're replacing! The tiniest sproing & slip and a minute kink, and the speedy head will vibrate the encoder strip into oblivion as it tries to boot up.

tearaway22

No worries - but treat the encoder strip like a valuable jewel made of fragile glass, and worth more than the belt you're replacing! The tiniest sproing & slip and a minute kink, and the speedy head will vibrate the encoder strip into oblivion as it tries to boot up.
Thank you, we are planning on taking it very steady and hopefully it will go okay. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is really appreciated and very helpful.

netsol

or like one of your grandmother's christmas ornaments, just waiting for the chance to break...

soyeb ravat

Hi guys I'm in the process of a belt change. Removed the left and right covers but before I continue the l26500 manual states the the top cover is also to be removed. Is this necessary? Thanks for your help in advance

richsweeney

Hi! I am not sure where you are located, but here in Seattle, we had our belt replaced by a local subcontractor of HP. They have a fixed cost program under $2,000 They replace many more parts then the belt, plus a 30 day ( I think) warranty. Both times we had the machine worked on they replaced the cover. (hp360)

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Hi guys I'm in the process of a belt change. Removed the left and right covers but before I continue the l26500 manual states the the top cover is also to be removed. Is this necessary? Thanks for your help in advance
I've done the belts on the 25500, and the 260 - and never took the top off only the 2 ends of the L260, and I think only the console end of the 25500.
Just be exceedingly careful to not dent or kink the encoder strip - not break the encoder strip ends which are under a lot of tension, as is the belt as you loosen it