• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP notebook troubles??

Shovelhead

Anyone had HD issues with HP notebooks?
I got mine 6 months ago and returned it the very next day because
the hard drive was fried. I'm having issues now and thought it was
Windows related. I attempted to load the recovery disks and I get
a code wherein HP informs me that it's an HD problem.
They're sending me a new HD and, of course, nothing for my troubles.

:frustrated:

Shovelhead

They want my old drive....of course, I'm reluctant because of all of my typefaces and work files etc.
How can I wipe it if I can't load software???

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've had an HP notebook for close to three years and never had a bit of problems with it. I did have an issue that I couldn't load software, but it was a windows problem (the installer kept going whacky)...

gabagoo

I bought an HP laptop 3 years ago and after never really using it my son took over posetion, but eventually it refused to even start up, all you would get is a blue flicker on the screen, The wireless connection device broke on top of that so it had to be hard wired to a router and when I went to get it serviced for my wife I was told it seemed the mother board was gone and might be better to just trash it. It sits in the basement somewhere waiting....to be trashed I guess. I now have a dell Inspiron 1525 and it seems ok after almost 2 years although I have it pretty loaded up and it seems to be running slower and slower

B Snyder

Throw it in the microwave?
Bring it to a scrap yard that uses a giant magnet to move piles of steel? Any magnet you'd find at home is too weak to erase hdd data.

signage

You could get a portable drive case and hook it up through it and wipe it!

here's a link to what i'm talking about!

Last edited:

hydo1

I got the USB version.....is the killing software that simple where I can designate what drive I want wiped?

I have used a piece of software called ERASER. When you have the drive hooked up just pick a new task to erase all the files. I think doing one overwrite pass should be enough, but I usually do 3 to 7 just in case.

thewood

I bought an HP laptop 3 years ago and after never really using it my son took over posetion, but eventually it refused to even start up, all you would get is a blue flicker on the screen, The wireless connection device broke on top of that so it had to be hard wired to a router and when I went to get it serviced for my wife I was told it seemed the mother board was gone and might be better to just trash it.

Wow! I had the exact same experience with an HP laptop--same age and all. My brother has the same model, and his wireless card crapped out as well.

speedmedia

Can you not hook it up to another computer as a firewire drive?

My beloved Apple laptop of 9 years just had an issues and I was able to hook it up via firewire and drag all of the files over to my other computer.

Then you can kill the drive and have all of your files.

Thanks,
Kurt

hydo1

Can you not hook it up to another computer as a firewire drive?

My beloved Apple laptop of 9 years just had an issues and I was able to hook it up via firewire and drag all of the files over to my other computer.

Then you can kill the drive and have all of your files.

Thanks,
Kurt

Unfortunately (for pc users) that is a Mac only feature!

Shovelhead

Wow! I had the exact same experience with an HP laptop--same age and all. My brother has the same model, and his wireless card crapped out as well.

Seriously, I had problems when I booted and wireless attempted to connect.
Then the HD crapped out.

speedmedia

If I ever have to buy another PC I will not buy anything but custom built. I realize you are limited with a laptop but it just seems the components used in these big box pc's is crap now. My brother in law is a IT guy and he always laughs at the family members who talk about this awesome Dell or HP or whatever they just bought... It's always "can't wait to have to fix that POS"

I have used several different custom built PC's of friends or whatever and it is just crazy how well they perform compared to the configured at the box store with AOL circa 1989 software installed...lol

I also cannot believe that they have not incorporated the option to hook up your computer to another as a hard drive to at least save the files when something goes awry. Seems like a no brainer.

I hope you are able to get one of the options above to work for you. Just for the record I have a photographer buddy who had a very similar problem with his HP sounds alot like yours. Been in the shop 5 times in the last 2 months.

Thanks,
Kurt

Stealth Ryder

Been using HPs exclusively for 4 years now, just got a new one in fact. I use my usually 14-16 hours a day, I replace every 12 months. Never had any problems... I Like em...

trakers

HP laptops are junk, but then most other brands are too unless you buy the good one for a grand but no one does.

DBAN is the shite for securely erasing a drive but can take a LONG long time to run. The web page looks like not so good, but the software is sort of a standard for computer geeks.
http://www.dban.org/

For drives I want to get rid of I use a tool made by Remington, it's called a 30-06. Seriously.

"Any magnet you'd find at home is too weak to erase hdd data."
Oh and the quote above is not entirely accurate. It does not take into account geeks like me who collect rare-earth Neodymium magnets. ;-)

These things are insane. I have a set from an old SCSI hard drive. They are about 1/2 x 1 and big burly men cannot pull them apart or hold them together, but it sure is fun watching them try.