• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP5500 CARRIAGE BELT INSTALL instructions wanted

Bill Modzel

A few years back my HP5000 ate it's belt. A new one from HP was about $45, (mine is the 42"). A service call to install it was about $3,500, so I went for it one quiet Saturday morning with nothing more than a parts schematic.

It took me about 5 hours slowly taking things off once I was sure I could reinstall them. It is NOT logical and there are many areas that are difficult to figure out how they come apart. I have a pretty good mechanical aptitude and it was a challenge for me but I did get it changed and working.

I can offer no particular help though, it's been too long. You might google the heck out of it. By now maybe someone has offered detailed instructions.

Billct2

There are service manuals available on ebay and if you search Google there are down loadable ones that you can burn to a CD. They're pretty cheap.
I got one awhile ago and have used it several times.
I did a belt change and it was a bit challenging, but doable. Gotta take a lot of stuff off.
The instuctions are extensive, and you actually need instructions for removing several different components, it's not all on one page.