• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huh... What would you suggest?

HaroldDesign

About two years ago I started a brochure for print design project with a client company. It was re-creation/redesign project because they no longer had the file work to take it to press. That was quite believable because it looked dated. I met with them and things went well. I was paid for half the job down, and began work. I did about half the work I could, as most work needed was contingent upon receiving pictures from them to scan in for the job. Receiving the photos required to do the job as specified was part of the contract. I contacted them to inform them I could go no further without said photos, but there was no response. No email response and no answered phone calls or voice-mails. I went out of town for a week, and when I returned there was no response. I repeated my efforts in contacting them, and there was no response. At this point it seemed to me that they found the artwork they needed to produce the brochure I was basically re-creating, and didn't want to lose on the other half of the project money on what they now didn't need. Fine. Don't want what I've done? No loss to me.
Nearly two years later I get an email;
"We met and got brochure artwork rolling about a year and half ago. We’re thinking of putting your efforts towards a new {Company} website with a downloadable brochure instead. Let’s at least get the conversation rolling and if you need to come in and meet with us again we can set that up."

It may seem obvious that starting where things left off is an easy decision. It's not like they don't pay. However, I really don't appreciate endless projects. They are something I've worked long and hard to be capable of not creating on my own end, and avoid accepting from others.

What would YOU suggest?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Meh...
Honest money is money.
Are you at capacity? Then pass. If you have the time. Make an extra payment on the mortgage.
:rock-n-roll:

jiarby

Tell them they still owe you for the other half of the brochure job, or at least payment in full this time. With a hefty premium as a PITA factor.

iSign

Tell them they still owe you for the other half of the brochure job, or at least payment in full this time. With a hefty premium as a PITA factor.

agreed!!!
I don't take kindly to a project being dropped half way... I take a project based on the full agreement, and often the headaches up front, to sell the job, are the hardest part... so if I get half the money & things stop at the halfway point... THAT SUCKS!!! the second half is often the easiest half... so they owe you in my opinion...

proceed accordingly!

GypsyGraphics

i had a similar situation several years ago. did a 12 page brochure for a large law firm. they paid the 50% deposit, gave me an old brochure to use as a basic idea of the amount of content, all to be updated, as well as new photos of the firm and partners.

this was not a quick job, even just to get to the point where they had a really nice mock-up. months go by without new photos or info ever being sent. when a year goes by, i write a letter giving them options for wrapping up the job or cancellation it.

one option was to supply photos and content within two months, and i would complete the project. another option was to keep the mock-up and pay the balance, allowing them to use the design and layout of all 12 pages. or, they could return the mock-up with a letter stating they would NOT use ANY of my design work.... and not have to pay the balance with the understand that the design and layout could potentiality be used for a different client.

they opted to complete the job and assured me i'd have the necessary content within two months. they didn't. i waited another month or two before sending them another letter saying there were no more options to finish the job, only cancel, with the same to ways to do so.

they sent back the brochure, minus the letter stating they understood they did not own the design. several months later i see they are using the pseudo logo i created as a blind-emboss on the cover.

iSign

...when a year goes by, i write a letter giving them options for wrapping up the job or cancellation it.

...they could return the mock-up with a letter stating they would NOT use ANY of my design work.... and not have to pay the balance with the understand that the design and layout could potentiality be used for a different client.

they sent back the brochure, minus the letter stating they understood they did not own the design. several months later i see they are using the pseudo logo i created as a blind-emboss on the cover.

If that happened to me, and I had a lawyer friend, I'd love to make up a letterhead, re-purposing that logo, and have him type out a quick standard cease & desist letter on that new letterhead (under the name of a REAL lawyer) ...just for fun, to see what they would do...