• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I are print-ar? (IT guy trying to learn the art of printing)

houston_newbie

Hi everybody. After just about every Google search I've done regarding anything work-related led to a Signs101 thread, I figured I'd just cut out the middle man and finally join the site. I'm working for a smaller signage and trade show company out of Houston, TX and I have to admit, I'm kind of out of my league, most of the time. I'm the primary operator for our Anapurna M2540 flatbed as well as a secondary operator for the HP 9000 and 6100 we have lying around. There's also a 6200 here, but I've honestly never printed a thing on it yet in four months of work.

Anyway, my big issue is that I'm basically entirely new to the world of printing. I've used a few large-format printers before, but that was like 8 years ago when I was a Geographic Information Systems major. The rest of my training was in IT, and that's one of the reasons they hired me, but the other reason is so I can run the board printer. I'm a PC hardware guy by choice, so all the color adjustment stuff is still a bit confusing every now and again, but I think the 2540 and I are learning to work with one another. The less I say about the 9000, though, the happier I'll be. Not a fan, let me put it that way. "A run got messed up on the 9000? Must be a day ending in 'Y'."

I know I'll have more questions later, particularly about the best replacement for the 9000 (latex or eco-solvent? It has to really stand up to years of sun abuse, either way.) Either way, though, I know I've come to the best place online to find the answers!

TXFB.INS

howdy

don't forget the search is your friend but always ask if unknown.
Just get ready for the blunt answers / opinions

SignManiac

No matter what you print on, UV will take it's toll on anything digitally printed so don't have any unrealistic expectation with regard to outdoor durability. There are multiple factors with regards to fading.