• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I CAN'T see "clearly" now

bipedaliferous

Hello all,

I am currently fabricating a large scale sign for a business front, which is constructed from 3/4" MDO. I sealed the edges with glue, and gave it several coats of outdoor latex for the base color. I have hand lettered the logos with the same paints. Now, from reading quite a few of the posts (and from previous unfortunate experience) I have gathered that using a clear to "seal" is not the best choice.I know definitely, not a poly that will crack and yellow. But what durable, long lasting option is there? What are your recommendations? Leave it alone?

Looking forward to your input.

Jillbeans

I have never lettered a sign with latex.
I used to use latex for backgrounds but have been all-enamel since about 1998, when I discovered that vinyl lettering doesn't adhere well to lates.
That being said, I have never cleared any sign since I started painting them in 1985.
Leave it be.
Welcome from Butler, unless you're a jagoff.
:)
Love....Jill

Billct2

Coat of liquid car wax and tell the customer if they want it to look good to wash & wax few times a year

bipedaliferous

Thanks all for the input.

Hello Bill, I am formerly a New Haven-er (small world)! I like the idea of waxing it, since it would give the surface a semi-gloss look. But would that "haze"?

As for the "lettering", I meant the text/words on the sign which is more of logo replication/artwork as opposed to hand lettering in a one shot, sign painter method. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Attached is an image of a portion of the sign to get a better idea.

Thanks again.

Hello Jill, no jagoffs or yinzers here!

Attachments

• signage.gif
    signage.gif
    267.9 KB · Views: 133

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very nice sign, but that doesn't look like it will weather very well. Isn't that indoor wood trim for the decorative edges ??

Jillbeans

That looks like it might benefit from some sort of clear.
1-Shot makes an acrylic UV clear (white can with green and black lettering) you have to work quickly with it because it gets stringy. You can get it from Pioneer or Glantz.

Signsforwhile

That looks like it might benefit from some sort of clear.
1-Shot makes an acrylic UV clear (white can with green and black lettering) you have to work quickly with it because it gets stringy. You can get it from Pioneer or Glantz.

:doh: first time i sprayed the 1-shot acrylic it was like spider webs coming out of the gun!

Billct2

I have had clients wax their signs and never had an issue with hazing.
I also have lettered with latex a few times, just took a little doing. I didn't even have lettering brushes for a few of the jobs, used "artists" brushes.

bipedaliferous

I was also recommended this product by a local firm that installs murals that are standing tough against the crap weather of Pittsburgh. Opinions?

http://buyat.ppg.com/rep_pafpainttools_files/Pghpaints/TDB/75-45.PDF

I am hesitant to use the 1-shot, since I have heard a lot of negative opinions about the current quality of their products. Truth?

The moulding is outdoor moulded HDU, that obviously is primed and painted and securely fastened on.

Thanks again, all.

Si Allen

Gino ... like others have said ... it is not as easy as using 1Shot.

I use Langnikle Nocturna brushes and it takes at least 2 coats to get proper coverage.

Latex lasts much better that 1Shot.