• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have a Graphix Advantage dongle

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I purchased some equipment which also included a blue dongle for Graphix Advantage. It has a six digit serial number on one side and small white label on the other side in which the lettering has disappeared.

Are Graphix Advantage CD's "programmed" so they can only work with a specific serial numbered dongle?

Thanks,

Jim

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's been a while but I don't think so. I don't think passwords were used until Omega replaced Graphix Advantage ... but I may be wrong. You may be asked for the password during the installation from the CD and then the installer will look for the dongle which carries the permissions and version number that will be accepted. For example, if the dongle only allows GA version 6 and you try to install version 6.2, it will reject it.

Best thing to do is to try it and see if it installs.

TheSnowman

I'm w/ Fred. I think I remember it asking me for a password once when I upgraded computers, (from a 486 to an Intel!) and it couldn't install cause I didn't have the dongle in. When I remembered to put it in, it didn't even prompt for the password.

The Equipment Guy

You should be able to call Gerber Tech Support and they can tell you what the dongle is good for. The number is 1 800-222-7446. I don't know if they will want you to pay for a "support call" but you could suggest that once you figure out where you are at you are, but you might end up buying an upgrade so it would be worth your while to tell them that.

Also, on most of the older GSP CD's there is a "Misc" directory with a program called Rblock. This program can be run regardless of what version the block is (to a point) and will tell you what the block has "installed" on it, what version it is and wether the block is active.

Always be careful when purchasing used Gerber Dongles, when they made the switch to USB there were a ton of deactivated parallel blocks floating around. If you do buy one, especially from someone you do not know, ask them to do an Rblock printout first and fax it to you.

If you get the Rblock printout, we can figure out for you what you have.

Craig

Craig

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks again.

We found the dongle attached to a Gerber GS750 that a friend found on Craigs List. The owner had purchased the plotter with a bunch of other equipment and he just wanted to get it out of his way. Here's the sweet part: He sold the plotter (with dongle) for $145!

We brought it back to my place and hooked it up to my computer (with Signlab 8) and it worked like new. My friend doesn't have any sign software so we're hoping that the GA will work. I called a fellow signmaker who upgraded to Omega and he believes he has his old GA somewhere around the shop.

I know the vinyl / monument stencil is a little pricey, but for what he saved, he can afford to run it for a long time.

Deals like that definitely don't come along too often.

Jim

Tony Teveris

The Gerber Software CD/DVD is NOT tied to the S/N or any other info on the dongle.

If the dongle is programmer correctly and is not damaged (internally) then you should be able to install the proper software. The dongle is used to make sure you are not executing the software w/o it (but there are hacks out there). Also if you call TechSupport or order software options Gerber requires you to give your System Id and S/N all found on the dongle and displayed via the software.