• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have question

visual800

why the hell do they still make punched vinyl? Was it orignally for gerber people? has that ship not sailed yet? are there like tons of ploteers out there that use punched vinyl?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Yup, it's mostly all Gerber.
They released their first sprocket fed plotter in the early 80's, back when dot matrix printers used the same technology (there are still corporations who use sprocket fed printers too). There have been a few other brands to release models, but Gerber was the big dog, they just kept making them, and still do. They also built very durable stuff, I'll bet Gerber has more 30+ year old equipment still in daily service than any other manufacturer. You'll probably be seeing punched vinyl for a loooong time yet.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
why the hell do they still make punched vinyl? Was it orignally for gerber people? has that ship not sailed yet? are there like tons of plotters out there that use punched vinyl?

Here are some photos of my "Why the hell"...

GS15 Plus Gerber plotter + sign vinyl + sand = my superpower. Elderly technology still pays the bills.

JB

1.jpg
Signature Web Stones - (S).jpg
12.JPG

13.JPG

Paul Baker 5-21-2020 (S) - Use This One.jpg

James Burke

I love your work. Great job grandpa! I agree with you, I must be older as I have 8 great-grands!
Thanks.

I used to be a tool and die maker, and then did a short stint teaching manufacturing and CAD design. I discovered sandblasting / stonework nineteen years ago and was so intoxicated by the possibilities that I jumped in with both feet.

I'll give you a small hint...most of what you see in the photos above is different than what you'll see from others in my circles. A lot of that is due to some special tools and processes that we've developed over the years (especially the process for the raised spider web designs).

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ours are 38 years old. The 30" is a frickin' sherman tank. Had to replace the drum about 15 years ago. It started melting. Great for cutting sandblasting materials, pounce patterns and very long runs.

James Burke

Good ole O'reilly's comes to mind, though a couple around me have recently upgraded to a less dependable laser printer...
Our local independent auto parts supplier still has a pin-fed printer as well. One major benefit I can see is that the store's copy always remains attached to the web...in perfect sequence.

This fact alone must make the audit / verification process a gazillion times easier than chasing a ream of loose papers all over the office.

JB

James Burke

Very, very cool. Images 1, 3 & 4 are so smooth, it almost looks like fiberglass. Once in a blue moon we'll get a request for blast mask.

#6 is also in the same category. They are very hard and very dense which makes for extremely good results.

This last photo here may raise a few eyebrows, but Mexican beach pebbles are just about as hard as they get.

This engraving demonstrates how tightly the laminar flow of the blast air "hugs" to the surface of an object. The perfect serrations along the leaves extend all the way down to the newly etched surface. A slight "wash" or undercut is visible where the abrasive changes direction against the perpendicular plane.

It also amazes me how the original texture of the stone continues to remain the same after etching.

JB

MJL.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
We still run rolls of vinyl through our (multiple) Gerber sprocket-fed plotters every day, and yes, we have 3 large format plotters also.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
why the hell do they still make punched vinyl? Was it orignally for gerber people? has that ship not sailed yet? are there like tons of ploteers out there that use punched vinyl?

I'm sure there are still tons of 15" plotters out there. We have (4) gerber plotters in various states.

We definitely don't use our Gerber Edge + plotters as much any more but they can't be beat for certain jobs. Quick 1 color print jobs are super quick and efficient to knock off.

As much as I don't love the floor space that our 15" set up and materials take up in our shop, you can easily produce thousands worth of decals a day with them.