• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need advice on what machine to buy

RC Woodworks

I am not new to the sign business, however I am to vinyl lettering. I almost bought a mobile sign shop on e-bay that was well set up. The issue was the shop was too big and the only thing I familuar with the CNC machine.

I currently own and operate a custom carved redwood sign shop. I hand route them and I recently added CNC routers. But coming across this mobile sign shop by accident, I became interested in the vinyl machines. I have been interested in enhancing my shop with vinyl for some time. I did some research on the inventory this shop had. Like a Roland PC 60 and Graphtec 4100. The seller quoted 20K worth of sign equipment. I think it was what he paid for it when he first bought them!

Anyway I passed on the deal and started my quest for the right machine! That also lead me to this forum! What better place to go and learn from the experts! I want a machine or machines that will allow me to make banners, vinyl signs, window lettering, magnetic and vehicle signs. I wouldn't mind being able to make custom T-shirts too.

Please share with me what you think would be a good machine for me. Remember I am new to this and I would like a software that could work with both vinyl and CNC. I know of Flexi sign, and the software I have for my CNC machine.

Thank you!

Rick

signage

As far as plotters get a name brand (Gerber, Graphtech, Summa Roland etc.). Software you could start with either Corel or Adobe suites, for specifics software Cadlink makes Signlab, Engravelab and profilelab. An other note on plotters any size from 24" up should be good. Also being you are new to this you would be better off purchasing it from a local supplier to get training on it and the software.

RC Woodworks

Thanks Brian, any machine in mind? I have Corel X3 and I am thinking about flexi sign. Do I need 2 machines to do what I want or one? Give me a model I can depend on.......Please!!!!!

Rav

jiarby

probably a Summa or Roland print/cut machine since you have limited space. I prefer separate machines for workflow reasons, but I have a brick&mortar shop. (more space)

RC Woodworks

jiarby, I do have space my shop is only a 1200 sq. ft. shop, but I think it should work? If I did go mobile with it I have been thinking of a new portable shop.

Still I guess I haven't been clear! Roland, graphtec and now Summa seem to be the brands to buy........ But what models? Then if I find a used one what model should I avoid? Also what brands and models to avoid new?

I want a machine or machines that will allow me to make banners, vinyl signs, window lettering, magnetic and vehicle signs. I wouldn't mind being able to make custom T-shirts too.

I would appreciate any help, I want to make the right choice.

Rick

woolly

just my bit , i cant see woodworking and vinyl printing working in close proximity dust is your enemy. and a vinyl inkjet would not last 5 mins in a mobile environment.
don't wish to be negative but i feel requires a lot more thought. sorry if i have misread your post

woolly

signage

Are you looking to print also or just cut at this time?
You would also want to keep these machine in a separate room like woolley said dust is your enemy!

eforer

Mimaki (JV3, JV3s, JV33) or Mutoh (value jets) for a printer and Graphtec or Mimaki for plotters. Tough to go wrong with any of the above combinations. If you have the space separate machines are the way to go. Also plan on buying a laminator.

This subject has been covered in depth numerous times. Look though some of those threads for more insight.

chopper

as far as the plotter goes I would at least get a 24 inch machine, as far as the model of machine it will depend on how much you want to spend and what you want the machine to do,
some will just cut some will cut and contour cut prints, some will also pounce patterns for paint, etc,.
the software you have will do the job, but you may need an additional program to cut, (not an expert with corel)( most machines come with a corel plug in to cut)
you should visit the manufactures web sites and see what will fit your needs the best, graphtec, roland, summa, APD. are all good brands if you google them you will find the info you need, as far as printing if you plan on going mobile I dont think it will work out to well you will need lots of space to house a printer and laminator, not to mention damage to the printer hauling it around, as far as the shirts go you could get a t-jet direct to garment printer, or use a digital printer to print on color print material and heat press it on shirts, or cut heat transfer material on your new plotter and heat press that on or you could get a screen printing set up and screen the shirts, when it comes down to it you need to decide what is best for you //chopper

RC Woodworks

Mimaki (JV3, JV3s, JV33) or Mutoh (value jets) for a printer and Graphtec or Mimaki for plotters. Tough to go wrong with any of the above combinations. If you have the space separate machines are the way to go. Also plan on buying a laminator.

This subject has been covered in depth numerous times. Look though some of those threads for more insight.

Thank you! You have given me the answer I wanted! I want to know what model and make that are good and what to avoid! I never said I was going to travel with the machine or set it next to my CNC!!! Lol Or will I ever put in my current mobile shop!

I have a 1200 sq ft shop and I know that isn't the biggest shop, but it works for me. My thoughts are to set up the new machines in my main shop, so I can expand what I offer to customers.

Rick

eforer

My shop isn't huge either and I have a fair amount of hardware here. 1200 sq ft will probably be enough if you are savvy with placement and a tidy worker.

MariaMartini

I'm also needing some input. At my old employer I used a Gerber Edge. I loved it, though it was all I knew. I would buy the same thing for my own business but it is a little costly to me. I am looking into getting a Graphtec 24" CE5000-60 Vinyl Cutter from specialty-graphics.com for $1449.00. What do you'all think?