• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I put back a near end cartridge and added 10cc

gabagoo

I ran out of yellow ink this afternoon and did not have a spare so I did have a cartridge that I took out prematurely a couple weeks back and because it was low it asked how much ink to add. Being the chicken chit I am I only punched in 10cc. I amazed at how much more printing I have done but wonder if indeed there is 10cc left in the cartridge? Can all so called empty cartridges be put back and deliver this little extra with no fear? What are the consequences if it indeed runs short of what you tell it, then what happens?

Arcdru

If you run approved cartridges, the tongue will stick out from the cartridge and trip the ink level switch causing the machine to display 'low ink' then a little later 'ink end' and you will no longer be able to print. If you are using a third party delivery system, there may not be an 'ink low' or 'ink empty' warning. When you perform a clean with low ink this may partially fill the damper and your test draw will look fine, leading you to believe that there is enough ink. Once you start printing though the ink may drop out leaving you with a wasted print. If however the ink is really low but hasn't dropped out yet the other concern could be drawback of that colour due to the vacuum cause in the near empty ink bladder. Depending on the machine you're using and the ink configuration you may even suck other colours up into the damper of the low ink, causing cross contamination.