• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If it's Wednesday, it must be plane building day!

SignManiac

Well, here's our latest progress on the Plasti-Plane made from scraps of coroplast. Today we got a lot done. Rebuilt the tail section and covered the top of the wings along with closing in the top of the tail fuselage.

It's amazing how fast time "flies" when you're having fun :) Especially after several Heineken's... After some research, we found an authentic leather hat and goggles from some Russian aircraft surplus... The red scarf should be the finishing touch come flight day!!

Attachments

• CIMG2821.JPG
    CIMG2821.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 98
  • CIMG2828.JPG
    CIMG2828.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 71
  • CIMG2829.JPG
    CIMG2829.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 51
  • CIMG2830.JPG
    CIMG2830.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 70
  • CIMG2835.JPG
    CIMG2835.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG2837.JPG
    CIMG2837.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
  • CIMG2814.JPG
    CIMG2814.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 77

signmeup

What a wing-nut. :clapping:

Is the skinny kid with the glasses the victim....I mean test pilot? :biggrin:

Plane looks awesome. :thumb: You should stick that thing on a post out on the front lawn so it points into the wind.

Craig Sjoquist

Well your really coming along on this and it's starting to look like this might really fly
..How well it does well...? knows I would do a test flight like a pull behind without a human in it am I wrong hopes

SignManiac

Signmeup, the skinny kid who is nearly forty is my business partner and he is an actual pilot. He will be the one doing the testing, my fat ass probably wouldn't get off the ground.
We plan to do a lot of test flights before he gets too high off of the ground.

The possibility of a big crash just makes this all that much more exciting! I'm looking for corporate sponsors already to get this thing to Kitty Hawk for a Wright Bros. record breaking flight!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Really looks neat. Judging by that one picture.... I sure hope you have another door that will accommodate getting this plane to the outside, unless you're intending to fly around inside your shop/hanger.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What is the material you are putting on the wings?
It is looking better and better.
To complete the project are you going to make a parachute out of scrap 13oz banners?

wayne k
guam usa

I'm looking for corporate sponsors already to get this thing to Kitty Hawk for a Wright Bros. record breaking flight!

If you make it to Kitty Hawk let me know. I'll take a day off and drive down, it's only about 3 to 4 hours from the shop. I'd love to see this thing fly.

Actually one of my customers is brewery called Aviator. I'll ask and see if he's interested in any kind of sponsorship. The tie in would be perfect.

~Chris

SignManiac

What is the material you are putting on the wings?
It is looking better and better.
To complete the project are you going to make a parachute out of scrap 13oz banners?

wayne k
guam usa

Wayne we are covering the wings with a matte clear vinyl, cheap Oracal stuff. Looks really good!

gbarker

Really looks neat. Judging by that one picture.... I sure hope you have another door that will accommodate getting this plane to the outside, unless you're intending to fly around inside your shop/hanger.

My thoughts exactly. How you gonna get it out?

PLEASE video the test flights. I wouldn't want to miss that.

ProWraps

ive said it before, and ill say it again:

quite possibly the most amazing thing ive ever seen. love it.

BUT! im really nervous for your test pilot. as someone that has built over 150 r/c planes, and is currently building a home built aircraft, the materials involved in this project will only spell death or serious injury to the pilot.

i cant say enough about the project. again, its truely amazing. but the safety side of me just scares the hell out of me.

SignManiac

We have some novel ideas about graphics if this ever gets off the ground. All I hope to do is get this plane airborne. I don't see this as a viable safe airplane for long term use. If it flies at all then I consider this fun project a huge success. After that, we can retire it to the air and plastic museum at the Smithsonian :)

Then it on to the next coro project!

Here's one more angle from higher up.

Attachments

• CIMG2838.JPG
    CIMG2838.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 81

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I get it. Your partner was up on the landing deck on the roof of your building taking that picture. You have a domed building and the roof will open up and with one mighty hurl... you'll throw this plane out the roof to get it outside. YOU don't need doors............ :Big Laugh