• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If The Left Side Of The Roller Is Tighter Than The Right Side...

player

If the left side is tighter than the right side, which way will the media drift?

I am thinking to the left.

Vinylman

If by "drift" you mean to say which side will the finished product tend to be pulled towards? Your presumption is correct IF you are facing the infeed table, and not facing the out feed table [or like looking from the rear of the machine toward the front].

The tightest gripping side of any pinch roll situation becomes the pivot point, and therefore will cause any substrate to "ROTATE" on that point while the material is being fed through.

player

By drift I mean the material moves over as it goes through the laminator.

Looking at the laminator from the front to the back, the way the material goes- the material moves to the right over distance. So the left side gets clear lam hanging over the edge, and the right side starts getting a strip with no laminate. Over 40' the clear overhang is about 1.5"-2".

Which side is tighter?

Vinylman

Using your most recent discription, The problem is most likely that you are not loading the material you want to laminate in straight enough. It sounds like the material is slowly "drifting" out from between the laminate.
Usually caused by improper loading of material.
You must start with the lead edge being trimmed dead straight across. Any deviation from straight across will eventually cause the situation you are experiencing.
Then you might try attaching a "LEADER BOARD" to the front edge of the print. Tape your print straight to the leader board and then feed the leader into the laminator STRAIGHT. A feed table in front of the laminator with a truly straight side guide might be of assistance as well.