• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"If you change X% of the design it's fair game"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Way to go, GG.

I agree with ya 110%.

As far as straying from an original..... I just don't like the judges judging these things. They don't have a clue one way or the other. So what happened here ??

Attachments

• logo compare-1.jpg
    logo compare-1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 50
  • logo compare-2.jpg
    logo compare-2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 52
  • logo compare-3.jpg
    logo compare-3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 55
  • logo compare-4.jpg
    logo compare-4.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 55

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if I go into a store and rob them of 10% of their inventory, did I commit a crime or not as I didn't take all 100% of it? theft is theft no matter how much of it you take.

I've always have asked the question.......

Is it stealing when you work at a large company and take a pencil home ??
Is it stealing when you work at a small company and take a pencil home ??

Rooster

I get minor hockey teams that steal big teams logos all the time.

I don't worry about it.

The only thing copyrights seem to protect is the lawyers.

If it were for resale I wouldn't touch it, but nobody's going after the teams for using the name and logo, so who cares if they have a nice helmet decal for their 12 year old's hockey team?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I get minor hockey teams that steal big teams logos all the time.

I don't worry about it.

The only thing copyrights seem to protect is the lawyers.

If it were for resale I wouldn't touch it, but nobody's going after the teams for using the name and logo, so who cares if they have a nice helmet decal for their 12 year old's hockey team?

That's really not an answer, but an excuse for doing something wrong and illegal.

Let's take a journey with a small fry team that asks for jerseys and hats, which wants to help the local kids. The kids are 13 to 15 years old. They play intercity ball and come across a team where they lose and get mad and start causing a problem. They start beating up the other team and even put one or two in the hospital, not to mention all the damage they did to the grounds and equipment. All the kids have a completely recognizeable logo and when photographed and their mugs, jerseys and hats are seen by everyone in the newspaper and on television.... how happy do you think that Professional team is when they're being represented by these bad kids ?? That makes them look bad and they had nothing to do with it.

• Do you think this is possible ??
  • Do you think there could be repercussions ??
  • Does the printer get in trouble ??
  • Does the Professional team have a legit gripe being represented this way ??

GypsyGraphics

it's just so ridiculous that people can be in this line of business and NOT have a clue what they are legally allowed to do!

i have new client who was actually given the "20% changed" line of BS, from a marketing firm,
who sold her another company's register copyrighted & trademarked logo!

my client did finally win in court but not before trying to hash it out with a clueless mediator. i realize this guy's job is to get them to settle out of court but thinking these were valid point made by the marketing firm, was inexcusable!

... we showed them several designs, they should have to take some responsibility for their own choices. it's not our fault they picked one that wasn't original artwork.

... the original copyrighted for an entirely different industry

... they never asked for original artwork

un-frigg'n-believable i tell ya!

phototec

I've always have asked the question.......

Is it stealing when you work at a large company and take a pencil home ??
Is it stealing when you work at a small company and take a pencil home ??

Is it stealing when you TAKE anything from ANYONE, ANYWHERE, that is NOT yours and take it home?

:help

axis

Infringement warning form letter?

Anyone know of a good, intimidating form letter to mail to an ex-client, who after being warned three years ago about unauthorized use of my design, is using it all over his new location? Oh, wait. He did change something. He 'shopped out my copyright info.

I dread the thought of having to file in Federal court and would love to head it off, but...

WildWestDesigns

It's not just if it's going for resale or not, it also has to deal with a lost sale as well. Which isn't mutually exclusive from resale as if you are reselling it, they still lose that sale, but a slightly different angle that can get you into trouble if you don't watch it.

But don't think that because you don't see and/or hear of anyone going after anyone in your scenario that it is legal. It could have been determined that the C/B ratio of pursuing it in that instance was not worth it at that time.