• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm purging.....

gabagoo

I got the bug in me this morning to come to work and basically try and toss everything out that juts sits.
I can't believe the build up of scrap materials and offcuts, it's nuts.
I could fill 3 - 4 yard containers with crap, but even then I second guess myself. I paid for it, it's mine, I can make money off of it.......unfortunately it keeps building up.

I only threw out a fraction of what I should have, but I did manage to get rid of a few hundred vinyl off cuts.
I ripped apart those boxes we save to ship stuff out that take up so much space.... Folded them all down and I will take them home and throw them out with the recyclables. How many empty boxes can I possibly need?

It's basically endless the amount of crap you horde away for future use.

now it's time to hit a few balls....this is the real reason I cleaned up lol

Attachments

• IMG00330.jpg
    IMG00330.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 116

iSign

good going!

I've been at least slightly shifted from hoard mode to purge mode... with a few more ambitious pushes into some real sacrifices.

I expanded my original shop from 14 years ago by building first 1, and then 2 additional floors in a 24 ft. tall warehouse. My floor was 750 sq. ft., so minus the stairs, I've pushed up to 2000 sq. ft.. 2 years ago I bribed a neighbor to vacate an adjacent 750 space, with one loft already built. It was the perfect spot to land a 5x10 CNC...

..but I think there is some law of nature that space attracts stuff... even for neat freaks, it still happens, but my latest idea is to try to build extreme efficiency in use of space, around the new CNC shop, to downsize away from the original shop.

So far, I've just about completed phase one of emptying 1000 sq. ft. of my older space, to try to sublease for a little cash flow assistance.

If nothing else, the emptying of spaces creates an imaginary lack of space & I've tricked that law of nature to stop attracting so much stuff...

I have this half baked idea in my head, for a "72hour Off-Cut Bonanza" where I get the word out to save 60% on prices of simple,"while-you-wait" signs...

...must order & pay IN PERSON, pick the substrate out of a sidewalk sale collection of cut-off's, 2 free cuts allowed, and get basic copy typeset (no complex design work) by myself or my staff...

I'm thinking one color, easy-weed, cut vinyl only... a bunch of $50 to $100 signs on PVC, Alum, Acrylic, Di-bond, Mirror Acrylic, Magnetic (no scraps here, but why not) ...and maybe even HDU or MDO at a lower discount, but some "scrap-use" pricing...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Gab...

Double ditto on pitching stuff. Sure, I might be able to make money on a snip of this or that, but by the time I un-earth it, it would have been well worth my time to start fresh.

Purging has a wonderful theraputic effect. Working amidst clutter is such an energy drain.

BTW..the only thing your golf setup is missing is the smell of fresh-cut grass.

Last edited:

ova

We got rid of all our "good scrap" ???? when we moved a couple of months ago. I didn't even build or have a rack anymore to collect the stuff. Our plotter is down and I don't even think I'll get it fixed. That's what we used to cut the scrap pieces. What we do collect, will go to the Nelson Jordan Center on a timely basis.

So what's the earliest you're able to get on a course? Do you go South during the winter to get some rounds in? I usually get to play around the Christmas Holidays. For some reason, we have a warm spell [40deg] and I go play a nine hole course a couple of times. Your net looks quite inviting. Might have to check into one of those.

Dave

iSign

ohh... I'm starting in to my second cup of coffee & finally realized this is about VINYL scraps... I never keep ANY vinyl scraps either (but i also stockpile them to give to schools)

...the off-cuts of substrates is the real space killer...

ova

I think you had it right iSign. He was referring to scrap of any kind.

What the heck time is it there? Do you ever sleep? I used to be that way, but find more and more as I get older that I tend to sleep more. And I'm only 58.

Dave

iSign

it's 9am...
I slept a while last night...

but not the night before... well, 2-1/2 hours...
I like 5-6 hours a night weeks on end, but can sleep 7-8 when the planets align...

3 a night is ok 1 or 2 days in a row, but that usually leads to a planetary alignment

gabagoo

I've got one too just don't shank it into the laptop.

It's OK I only use the foam balls that came with the Optishot simulator. Cant do to much damge. The net is roped, so when I finish I pull it up to the ceiling and let it hang until the next time I need it.

gabagoo

We got rid of all our "good scrap" ???? when we moved a couple of months ago. I didn't even build or have a rack anymore to collect the stuff. Our plotter is down and I don't even think I'll get it fixed. That's what we used to cut the scrap pieces. What we do collect, will go to the Nelson Jordan Center on a timely basis.

So what's the earliest you're able to get on a course? Do you go South during the winter to get some rounds in? I usually get to play around the Christmas Holidays. For some reason, we have a warm spell [40deg] and I go play a nine hole course a couple of times. Your net looks quite inviting. Might have to check into one of those.

Dave

I am all booked for Myrtle Beach March 20 or around then, We flying down out of Niagara Falls ny for $320 return and we have rented a 4 bedroom house for a week. I am planning on playing 2 rds a day every day except 1 (just in case I have to make up for a rain out) The house we rented is right on the ocean in Little River and not to far from Tidewater.

The net you see is one thing its the device you hit off of that is cool. It hooks up to the laptop and you can play 8 courses or just practise.
http://www.dancindogg.com/ check it out

ova

Tried the Myrtle trip once. It was March and I kept a vigil on the weather down there every day the week before we went. It was in the 70's. When we arrived the temp. started dropping. Two days in a row we had to wait until they watered the fairways to get rid of the frost before they would let us out. We tried to play two rds. but with the late starts, could only do 27 holes. The day we left we played nine holes on some excecutive course and it was going back into the 70's.

We did find a par three that was lit up for night golf. Didn't have to use the florencent balls it was so lit up.

Showed your set-up to the wife. I hope I was a good boy this year. Thanks for the link.

Dave

gabagoo

Tried the Myrtle trip once. It was March and I kept a vigil on the weather down there every day the week before we went. It was in the 70's. When we arrived the temp. started dropping. Two days in a row we had to wait until they watered the fairways to get rid of the frost before they would let us out. We tried to play two rds. but with the late starts, could only do 27 holes. The day we left we played nine holes on some excecutive course and it was going back into the 70's.

We did find a par three that was lit up for night golf. Didn't have to use the florencent balls it was so lit up.

Showed your set-up to the wife. I hope I was a good boy this year. Thanks for the link.

Dave

I played a rd today with a friend but I need to do some adjustments in the software. I can hit the ball 280 but I get this freaky slice thing going which I dont get in real golf.. I think the device has issues with reading the driver. It's still fun and a good workout...I break a bit of a sweat each time I use it

petrosgraphics

while you have the time before going to myrtle beach, look into getting the discount

book CLUB KEY...... on line.... have used it for years at hilton head... great savings,

great courses.... swing away!!!! chase that little white thing....

ova

A few years ago there was a girl here that some people thought would be the next Anika. They took her under their wings and hired a "pro" to be her mentor. They set up an indoor type driving range about like the one you have. She practiced through the winter hitting the ball into the net. Remember, no simulator, no computer, only a coach watching her swing.

In the early spring they went to Florida for some early golf. She could not hit the ball straight off the tee. After a couple of weeks of trying to adjust her technique, swing, etc., they came back home. Their theory was she ruined her swing by hitting the ball indoors and only being able to tell contact, not ball flight. She had created a habit that she couldn't or wasn't able to get rid of.

This is one was reason I was always reluctant to buy the net and just hit the ball into it. But now, computer, ball flight, distance. Time to re-think and see if my wife needs help with anything.

Dave