• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing Files Into Flexi

greglauter

What is the best formula regarding color? I have Flexi 8.5 on my PC (for printers only) and have been importing Photoshop files from my Mac. I have tried a number of formulas and none seem to have the correct color. I tried tiffs, eps, jpegs and i tried RGB and CMYK outputs and they all look too dark. What am I doing wrong? I use Oracal media and downloaded the Oracal color profiles but still the same dark color output... hmmmm?

Do you guys have a fix for this? Any color profiles or formulas I can use to remedy this? Thanks! And happy thanksgiving to all!

signguy95

Would probably be best to print out a pantone color chart and pick from those when designing. That way when you import into flexi you will know what the colors will look like.

Other way would be custom profiling your printer.

I have a pantone swatch book and I print a color from it and it's not the same color. so I made my own pantone color chart using flexi and printed it on my Mimaki. Now when chosing colors I just open the print out and select the color I want!

If you need help on exactly how to create your pantone chart in flexi...pm me!

Jay

iSign

I agree with Jay on printing your own charts.
You also probably ought to get some after-the-sale asistance from the vendor who sold you the printer. It is a science to get proper consistent color. We have enough to learn in this industry, so getting good results from tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment should be taken care of initially. Sure, we should learn as much as we can to keep it that way, or make our own changes, as needed... but it sounds like your set-up is not set up... and that is just not a good place to start from unless your primary objective is to learn to be a printer technician. If you want to be a sign guy... hopefully you have printer technicians available to you as a by-product of the money you spent.

Regarding the charts, I think you can download CMYK charts at printingdigital.net These chart files, once YOU print them, will give you dozens or hundereds of swatches of your inks on your media, using your profiles... and as long as those 3 factors are the same, you can expect reasonably consistent results. I made one on vinyl, and one on banner stock.

The charts will be broken up into adjustments of the CMYK values that are noted alongside the swatches, so you can create your sign layouts using the specified cmyk values when you want to achieve the corresponding color on your chart.

Personally I wouldn't refer to them as Pantone colors. It doesn't matter what your printer does to them, Pantone colors are what they are, whether or not you can hit them, so matching the swatches on your chart to one in a real Pantone book can help deliver a specified color, but making charts that attribute "wrong" colors, to known Pantone numbers would be a bad idea.