• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing PDFs into OMEGA Composer/GSPplot sloooooooooow

Yvan

Hi all. I'm new here. This looks like a great resource!

Latest Omega 2.6.x
1 x EDGE
1 x EDGE2
2 x Envision375

I'm the software developer for my company and essentially I've written some software that spits out a PDF. The PDF is constructed in such a way that composer/gspplot can recognize the cut layer.

The problem is that the import filter is uselessly (is that a word?) slow. My pages are not insanely complex. For example, there are 45 "labels" on a foot of material each with a word framed by a border (the cut line). To import a page like that can take up to a minute or more. And hell, I'd like to import 15 feet at a time! Anything more than a foot or two and omega just enters and endless loop. I've tried importing 3-4 feet and letting it run overnight and it still wasn't able to process it.

As a workaround I'm doing one row of labels along the length and then am doing the repeats in composer but it's not ideal and it introduces too much room for error in the process. We print 1000 feet a day so there's no time to muck about with repeats.

I can rule out hardware/OS. We're talking new core 2 duo machines with 4GB of RAM. I've tried it on different machines, no difference.

Questions:
- any fix for this?
- if not is there documention, SDK, API etc on whatever language these machines talk
- any opinions on Cadlink Signlab as an alternative to OMEGA?
- are there any other alternatives e.g. windows driver?