• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink, Media or Heater issue?

I am having a problem with ink pooling and coagulating on my prints.
I am using Oracal 3651. Whenever I have a gradient or screened image to print I am having this problem.
I have been playing around with the heat setting for the rear heater but not much luck.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I am also having a huge issue with dust! Anyone have any advise on handling the dust situation?
Thanks

HaroldDesign

How do you profile? ...spectrophotometer?
As for dust there's just no other way than to keep things clean - even if it means building a separate area for digital. I've always ended up keeping print equipment in it's own area.

Here are pics of the problem I am having.
Not the best (from my blackberry) but should show what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG00045-20090324-1636.jpg
    IMG00045-20090324-1636.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG00046-20090324-1639.jpg
    IMG00046-20090324-1639.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 60

HaroldDesign

I run Onyx on a Mutoh 1604. I've used substrates with profiles meant for the particular substrate and printer and still ended up building my own. It may not be the problem you're having, but I've had the same problem with various pressure sensitives and they went away when I bought an X-rite and started building my own profiles. They're expensive, but are a HUGE help and worth every penny!

I am sure that that is a huge help especially for color matching issues but my issue is not color matching it's the ink drying on the media (I think).

HaroldDesign

Have you tried lowering the ink limit?... or maybe the black is built 100% of CMYK and laying down enough to puddle.

Arstron

What are your heater settings at? Also whats the name of the profile you are using exactly? I am going to lean more towards a heater issue. I currently am running mine at 30 preheater, 35 platten, 50 for the dryer/post heater.

randya

this looks like media to me, heat may help.

Try wiping it with denatured alcohol and let it dry just before printing.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will play around with it tomorrow and post my findings. I have been playing around with the heat settings all day. I tried everything from 50 to 20 adjusting the front and back heaters and always the same problem.
Hey Randy, did you get those pictures I emailed you of the fuse replacement?

randya

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will play around with it tomorrow and post my findings. I have been playing around with the heat settings all day. I tried everything from 50 to 20 adjusting the front and back heaters and always the same problem.
Hey Randy, did you get those pictures I emailed you of the fuse replacement?

Thanks, I have received the pics, just have not had enough time to format them out and get them in the knowledgebase.

They are greatly appreciated!:thankyou: