• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installation/licensing Laws in VA

star city signs

I've been cruising around reading and learning for a few weeks now and it has brought me to a impass. For all intents and purposes I run more of a sticker shop than a sign shop. I've slowly been making the transition to bigger and bigger signs. My question is, what kinds of licenses, such as contractors licensing, do I need to install archetectural signage in Virginia. If anyone can help me out with an answer or pointing me in the right direction to find out, I would reall appreciate it.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
. My question is, what kinds of licenses, such as contractors licensing, do I need to install archetectural signage in Virginia.

Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!
Here City Bond, City Registration are no big deal. Our city is 200. for the pair. Of course there are 52 separate municipalities in the D/FW Metromess.

More to the point what are the minimum Worker's Comp, Liability or bonds will the specific client / management company require before you enter the property.

Z SIGNS

I don't know about VA but this is what you need in NJ and I'm sure it's the same in many areas.
To get a permit for installation you will need.

Workmans comp ins

Contractor liability(usually 1 million min)

licensed electrician(if its electrical)

Licensed structural engineer.(to submit your install plans to the construction office they are going to want to know how it's being installed)

Registered contractor in the municipality you are working.

Hope this helps

Z SIGNS

The best way to educated in this end of signs is.
First time you go to get a permit to install a sign.
Go down to the construction office (that's the place where they issue permits)of the town you will be working in and show them what you are planning to do.
They will educate you very quickly as to what you will need.