• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 8'x10' site sign-what do you think?

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
We have an 8'x10' site sign that will be 4 total pieces(4-4'x10') as it's shaped in an "L" to be viewed from two vantage points of the interstate. It's 1/2" primed MDO with graphics applied to the face. I'm going to use 3 -4'x4'x14' treated posts plus some 2'x4's on the sides for support similar to the pics below. It will be 3' in the ground set with concrete. Do I need longer posts? I've only installed 4'x8' site signs, never one this size so wondering if I need more posts and support pieces behind the sign. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Spencer-Fielding-Banner-Billboard-Site-Sign.jpg
    Spencer-Fielding-Banner-Billboard-Site-Sign.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 91
  • sitesign3.jpg
    sitesign3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 62
  • sitesign31.jpg
    sitesign31.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You better re-think that. Other than that little sign in the middle, those others are 6" x 6" posts. The size you're taking, you better use 6" x 6", too.

You're gonna need 5 posts and besides the deadman posts, you should use some 2" x 6" runners to keep all your posts steady. Also, for that height, you better go in the ground 4' to 5' feet of cement.

Last thing, we always referred to that set up as a 'V' shaped sign. An 'L' would be shorter on one side, huh ??

sinclairgraphics1

You better re-think that. Other than that little sign in the middle, those others are 6" x 6" posts. The size you're taking, you better use 6" x 6", too.

You're gonna need 5 posts and besides the deadman posts, you should use some 2" x 6" runners to keep all your posts steady. Also, for that height, you better go in the ground 4' to 5' feet of cement.

Last thing, we always referred to that set up as a 'V' shaped sign. An 'L' would be shorter on one side, huh ??

Got it, we'll use 6'x6' posts for added structure. So 3 posts across(they meet at the V)is what you are referring too? Runners on each side-10' or 12'. If going in the ground that deep then we'll need 16' posts correct? You got me on the "L" shape.:smile:Guess it depends on the font used.

Billct2

Agree, definitely 6x6s. I dont think you'll need any extra supports, just rn some stringers across the "top" of the V. That will make it a real rigid triangle

sinclairgraphics1

The last thing I'm going to ask is about assembling the sign for the installation. Since there are 2 signs that form a "V" and they will share one of the posts, what's the best way to go about doing this? Do the one side, and raise it up, drop it down in the holes with the sign already on then pour my concrete. Raise the other side up, attached to the 2 posts(1 on the far right, and 1 in the middle), raise that one up, drop it in the holes and screw the 3rd post on that's already in the ground with the other side correct? That's how I envisioned it and how we always did our regular 4'x8' site signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After you have all your permits taken out for digging holes..... dig the holes and pour your footers. Come back in a day or so, set your posts and pour the concrete around the posts and use some scab 2 x 4's to plumb the thing and keep it straight. Come back a day or so later and hang your panels and put the rest of your supports on after the panels are hung. Again, for that span, you should be using 5 posts with at least 3 stringers per side.